Chemistry (BSc) – 3 or 4 years
Chemistry deals with the nature of and changes in matter, which is why there are few sciences that do not involve chemistry.
Bereavement Announcement: It is with profound sadness that we report the passing of our longtime friend and colleague, Dr. Bruce James Forrest following a long battle against cancer. Read more…
Chemistry is the study of matter, matter being anything that occupies space and has mass. This usually involves the study of the interactions of atoms and molecules. An experimental science, Chemistry is divided into five sub-disciplines: Analytical, Biological, Inorganic, Organic and Physical. These are of fundamental importance to a diverse array of possible careers.
Everyday materials found in every corner of your home; medicines, foodstuffs, agricultural supplies, plastics; all come from chemistry. Even your thoughts, emotions and basic bodily functions are due to chemical reactions. Chemical reactions are also directly involved in the causes and prevention of pollution and global warming, not to mention chemical and biological weapons. For example, did you know that Teflon was developed by Chemists as part of the Manhattan Project?
A degree in Chemistry is the foundation from which other disciplines arise. Students will learn the theory behind and obtain practical experience in chemical analyses, organic syntheses & drug design, the biochemistry of body systems and disease states and advanced materials & catalysis.
- Chemistry 40S, Pre-Calculus 40S, Physics 30S (Physics 40S preferred).
- Chemistry courses are prerequisites for entrance into professional schools such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy and veterinary medicine. Speak with an Advisor is you wish to pursue any of these areas.
Sample of Available Courses
- General Chemistry I & II
- Elementary Organic Chemistry
- Intro Physical Science
- Physical Chemistry I & II
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Advanced Geochemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- View course flowchart
Approximate Costs for 2011/2012
- Tuition: $4032
- Text Books: $918
- Other (Lab Supplies): $100
- Medical research, Forensics, Pharmaceuticals, Environmental consultancy, Engineering, Petroleum and Mining industries, Patent Law, Biotechnology, Brewing, Teaching, Agriculture, Atmospheric science.
- The department offers students a variety of research opportunities through summer employment opportunities, work-study programs and final year honors projects. Current research projects in the department are related to drug abuse/addiction, schizophrenia, cancer chemotherapy, drug design and synthesis, design and synthesis of novel magnetic compounds including MRI agents, synthesis of novel catalysts for industrial processes.