Lorne Watson Recital Hall Policies
PART I – BOOKING PRIORITIES
1) The Lorne Watson Recital Hall may be booked by music faculty and music students for BU sponsored musical events. No rental charge will apply, although other charges will be levied as per Part II of this policy. (The internal Booking form is located on the School of Music Webpage directly below the calendar)
Click here to check on the availability of the hall: Lorne Watson Recital Hall Calendar.
Complete the internal booking form found below the calendar on the webpage and email it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In connection with 1) above, booking priority is as follows:
a) pro series concerts, faculty concerts, scheduled classes and ensemble concerts;
b) rehearsals for pro series concerts, faculty concerts; dress rehearsals for ensembles
c) credit recitals and dress rehearsals for credit recitals;
d) non-credit recitals and dress rehearsals for non-credit recitals; EGCM recitals approved in advance by the Director;
e) other events (e.g. the preparation of audition tapes) approved in advance by the Dean or designate.
2) The Lorne Watson Recital Hall may be booked by other members of the BU community, at the Dean’s discretion, for musical events only. A rental charge will apply. Other charges will be levied as per Part II of this policy. (The external booking form is located on the School of Music Webpage directly below the calendar)
3) The Lorne Watson Recital Hall may not be booked by members of the BU community for non-musical events except under special circumstances and with permission of the Dean. A rental charge will apply. Other charges will be levied as per Part II of this policy.
4) The Lorne Watson Recital Hall may not be booked by outside organizations except under special circumstances and with permission of the Dean. A rental charge will apply. Other charges will be levied as per Part II of this policy.
Note 1: School of Music functions will always have priority. Any booking may be preempted with 30 days’ notice for a School of Music event.
Note 2: The LWRH is unavailable on days pro series concerts take place.
Note 3: No room on the main floor can be booked by outside groups at times School of Music events are taking place in the LWRH.
Note 4: On evenings on which recitals take place at 8:00 PM, the hall must vacated no later than 7:00 PM.
Note 5: The 9 foot Steinway piano (P9, P2) is available for guest artists, faculty and applied majors for their credit recitals, upon request.
The row of seats closest to the stage of the Lorne Watson Recital Hall may be removed to accommodate a small orchestra or other equipment.
Due to Fire Code Regulations, under no circumstances are patrons permitted to sit or stand on the outside aisles or the central aisle, including the stairs. The area immediately behind the back row of seats is primarily for patrons using wheelchairs. 7 wheelchairs and/or removable chairs are permitted behind each section of seats for a total of 14 wheelchairs/removable chairs.
PART II – LENGTH OF BOOKINGS
1) Faculty and Guest Artist Recitals
- up to 6 hours of rehearsal time may be requested
- these 6 hours must be in two or three non-contiguous blocks
2) Student Recitals
- up to 2 hours of dress rehearsal/set-up time may be requested
3) Faculty Master Classes/Seminars
- up to 2 hours may be requested, no more than twice per month
4) Recording Sessions
- up to 2 hours of taping time may be requested per term (a charge applies – see Rates)
- from September to November and January to March inclusive, up to three 2-hour conservatory recitals or conservatory studio recitals may be booked per month.
6) RCM and Conservatory Canada
- only for examinations Grade X and above (9 foot piano)
PART III – RATES
Full daily rate: morning, afternoon and evening – $400.00 – this includes the cost of one backstage assistant
Two sessions: morning and afternoon or afternoon and evening (morning and evening = 3 sessions)- $300.00 – this includes the cost of one backstage assistant
One session: morning, or afternoon, or evening – $200.00 – this includes the cost of one backstage assistant
Credit or non-credit student recorded full-length recital: $35.00 for digital recording
Credit or non-credit student recital (without recording): $15.00 for a backstage assistant (access and lighting in the hall)
Audition recordings $15.00 per hour School of Music facility/equipment charge. Available upon request. There will be a $35.00 charge for the use of Brandon University equipment.
PART IV – EQUIPMENT/FURNISHINGS/STORAGE
• Baldwin grand piano
• Designated adjustable bench for Baldwin piano
• Steinway D concert grand piano
• Designated adjustable bench for Steinway grand piano
• Tailored cover for Steinway piano
• Backstage garbage can
• Backstage table (narrow, wooden)
• 2 chairs at the front of the house (burgundy) adjacent to the vestibule of the hall
• 1 folding table at the front of the house, adjacent to the vestibule of the hall
• 30 stage chairs (burgundy; 6 stacks of 5 chairs each)
• 4 music stands
• 1 conductor’s stool
Only items listed above may remain permanently within the LWRH. All items must be stored in designated locations. For clarity, these items (excepting chairs) have been distinctly labeled as permanent contents of the LWRH.
1) The Baldwin grand piano remains on stage along with its adjustable bench and cover in place. By authorization, it may be stored temporarily backstage, east and free of the revolving doors.
2) The Steinway concert grand piano stays in the piano storage vault, along with the recital bench, cover in place, and storage doors closed. This piano is returned to storage immediately after a recital and/or other authorized use.
3) During classes/rehearsals, piano covers should remain on-stage. During a performance, covers are kept in the piano vault.
4) Pianos may only be moved on/off stage by authorized persons, given due notice. For finish protection, piano covers must be used in all moving operations.
5) Permanent contents of the LWRH must be returned to the locations posted.
6) Non-permanent equipment must be removed from the LWRH immediately after the rehearsal/performance. Arrangements to move equipment in/out of the LWRH must be approved in advance.
7) Personal or unclaimed items left in the LWRH will be moved immediately to lost and found.
N.B. Exceptions to this policy may be made at the discretion of the Dean or designate.