Welcome to Brandon University! As you begin your journey at BU, I am confident that our staff in Student Services will be able to provide you with the resources and advice you’ll need to be successful.
What is Mandatory Advising?
As there are a number of degree requirements and regulations that can be confusing, all new students accepted to Arts, Science, Arts/Education Integrated, Business Administration, Physical Education, or Health Studies are required to attend a mandatory TREK session where you will participate in a group information session and then meet with your academic advisor to choose your courses.
This process will help ensure that you understand the degree requirements and that you make choices that best fit your academic plans and personal goals.
How do I make an advising appointment?
TREK is available in four (4) different formats. Please choose the one that works for you:
- Spring Registration Sessions will run on Mondays (excluding holiday Mondays), Wednesdays and Fridays, beginning April 29 to May 24, 2013. Please register as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Individual advising times are scheduled on a first-come basis.
- Summer Registration Sessions begin June 3 to August 26, 2013. It runs every Monday throughout the summer, excluding holiday Mondays.
- TREK BU North will be held in Thompson, MB. on May 29, 2013 at the Ma-Mow-We-Tak Friendship Centre. The deadline to register for this event is May 24, 2013.
- Phone in appointments: This option is only available for students who live more than 2 hours away from BU and are unable to come to campus during Spring or Summer registrations sessions.
Until you have completed a mandatory TREK advising session you will not be able to register for your courses.
How should I prepare for my appointment?
- Make sure you arrive for TREK on time.
- Be prepared to discuss course options, address academic problems or concerns, make decisions about the upcoming semester, and explore major/minor options.
- Make a list of potential courses for the next semester you are interested in taking.
- Explore Degree Worksheets for majors you might be interested in.
We ask that you bring your interim high school transcript to your advising session. Please see your high school office to request a copy.
If you have questions about TREK BU, please Trek@brandonu.ca.
For questions about Health Studies TREK BU please contact:
Tracey Collyer (Pre-Nursing) at (204) 571-8567
Cathy Demas (Pre-Psychiatric Nursing) at (204) 727-7403.
Once again, we welcome you to Brandon University!
David Rowland, Dean of Students