Become a Member
Brandon University’s Centre for Aboriginal and Rural Education Studies (BU CARES) welcomes individuals connected to research related to Rural and Indigenous education to engage with our research community. These guidelines detail the various forms of membership at BU CARES, including eligibility criteria, responsibilities, and benefits.
Types of Membership
- Investigator (Investigator, Affiliate Investigator, or Investigator Emeritus)
- Community Member
Investigators are individuals who lead or co-lead research at Brandon University. They have a university faculty appointment and closely align with research related to rural and Indigenous education.
- Lead or co-lead research at BU
- Hold university faculty appointment
- Align with rural/Indigenous education
- Develop and conduct research independently
- Obtain and maintain funding as appropriate to the individual’s research program
- Supervise, train, and mentor students
- Participate in BU CARES activities (seminars, events, etc.)
- Acknowledge BU CARES affiliation where appropriate in grants, publications, presentations, media, etc.
- Eligible to access research space as available in BU CARES offices
- Eligible to access NVIVO and Survey Monkey software as available
- Eligible to access research equipment (cameras, recording equipment, projector, transcription pedal, etc.) as available
- Eligible to receive letters of support or introduction
An Affiliate Investigator holds a primary appointment at another institution but is actively engaged in rural and Indigenous education research.
- Significant engagement in rural/Indigenous education research
- Hold university faculty appointment at a non-BU institution
- May be a former Investigator who has moved to a new institution
- Actively participates in rural/Indigenous education research
- Welcome to participate in BU CARES activities (seminars, etc.)
- Students involved in Affiliate Investigators’ projects may participate in BU CARES activities
- May be eligible to receive letters of support or introduction as needed, in consultation with the director
An investigator emeritus is a former investigator who wishes to maintain a connection to BU CARES after retirement.
This category of membership includes undergraduate and graduate students or postdoctoral fellows who are participating in a program of training or research at Brandon University or another institution.
- Primarily supervised by a BU CARES Investigator
- Eligible to participate in BU CARES activities (seminars, research training, workshops, etc.)
- Eligible to use research space and equipment as available in the BU CARES office
This category of membership includes all individuals who do not fall into the investigator or student categories but who wish to remain connected to BU CARES or who are connected to research related to rural and Indigenous education.
- Connected to rural/Indigenous research or have interest in research
- Receive monthly roundup newsletters with the latest news and events from BU CARES
- Eligible to attend BU CARES activities (seminars, research training, workshops, etc.)