Research Connection Podcast
Connecting current research and expertise with users in the community
It’s hard to stay on top of new developments and research in education. Join Jackie Kirk and Michelle Lam as they interview guests whose research directly impacts classrooms in the real world. Whether you are a teacher, administrator, researcher, or just want to hear more about how kids these days are learning, this is the podcast for you.
- Racism on the Prairies - Join Jackie and Michelle as they discuss the realities of racism in Canada, what it's like to grow up in rural Canada, and what is contributing to the current climate of hatred and racism. Will public statements about diversity and inclusion result in meaningful change? And how do you keep going when the work carries such an emotional cost? Guests Natashalee Thompson and Dr. Barbara Perry provide insights into these questions and more.
- The “Tech Gap” and Covid-19 - If internet and education are both basic human rights, what does it mean when some communities in Canada don’t have internet access during Covid-19? Divisions are doing their best, but have students sitting in parking lots with giveaway devices. We need long-term solutions. Join hosts Jackie and Michelle as they discuss the tech gap and education with guests Kirsten Thompson, Dr. Michael Nantais, and Dr. Alec Couros.
- Assessing Literacy During Covid-19 - Join Jackie and Michelle as they discuss online literacy assessment during the Covid-19 pandemic with guests Darlene Keith and Dr. Joe Stouffer.
- Imagining Education in light of Covid-19 - How have teaching and learning changed since the pandemic? What questions should we be asking of ourselves and others? How can we keep what we've learned and move towards a future filled with hope? Join Jackie, Michelle, Burcu, and Tim as they discuss education in light of Covid-19.
- Rural Men’s Mental Health - How are rural men unique when it comes to mental health? How is Covid-19 having an impact? Join Jackie and Michelle with guests Richard Whitfield and Dr. Rachel Herron as they discuss mental health, men, and rural areas.
- French Language Episode 2 - Join Eva Eberts (French Language Specialist, Brandon School Division) and Dr. Eftihia Mihelakis (Brandon University, Classical and Modern Languages) once again as they discuss teaching French language and supports for teachers in rural areas.
- Housing and Homelessness in Brandon, MB - Join hosts Jackie and Michelle as they talk with Carly Gasparini, director of Brandon Neighbourhood Renewal Corp., and Nancy McPherson of Brandon University's Faculty of Health Studies about housing affordability, homelessness, and local impacts.
- French Language Learning in Brandon, Manitoba - Join Eva Eberts (French Language Specialist, Brandon School Division) and Dr. Eftihia Mihelakis (Brandon University, Classical and Modern Languages) as they discuss French language learning, community, and identity in Brandon, Manitoba.
- All About Bees - Join Jackie and Michelle with guests Dr. Deanna Smid (Department of English & Creative Writing, BU) and Becky Lane (Library Admin Assistant at BU and Beekeeper) as they discuss bees in Brandon, conservation efforts, and even some literature recommendations!
- Mental Health, Trauma, and Families - Join Dr. Jane Karpa (BU, Psychiatric Nursing) and Dr. Breanna Lawrence (BU, Education) as they discuss issues related to mental health, education, trauma, and families.
- Researching Romance - Join Stacey Lee (BU Librarian) and Dr. Jonathan Allan (Canada Research Chair & BU Professor) as they discuss trends and research in the genre of romance novels.
- Teacher-Led Learning Teams - Join Eric Sagenes (MTS) and Dr. Cathryn Smith (Brandon University) as they discuss the teacher-led learning team model of professional development.
- Not Just For Muscle! Creatine Supplementation and Fat Loss in Older Adults - Join Jackie and Michelle as they discuss exercise, nutrition, and supplements like creatine with Bob Lee, Scott Forbes & Joel Krentz.
- Autism and Ways of Being - Join Amanda Hamm (Rural Development Institute) and Dr. Patty Douglas (Brandon University Faculty of Education) as they discuss parenting, educating, and being with people in their lives who have attracted the label of autism.
- English Language Learners in Classrooms - Join Joanna Ford (Brandon School Division) and Dr. Burcu Ntelioglou (Brandon University) as they discuss emerging bilingual / plurilingual students and how teacher education is changing.
- Leadership and Mental Health - Dr. Alysha Farrell (Brandon University) and Rev. Darryl McAuley (McDiarmid Drive Alliance Church) are back! Join co-hosts Jackie and Michelle as they discuss leadership and mental health.
- Sexualized Violence on Campuses - Join Carla Navid (Brandon University’s Sexual Violence Education and Prevention Coordinator) and Dr. Corinne Mason (Associate Professor of Gender and Women’s Studies and Sociology at Brandon University) as they discuss sexualized violence on campuses.
- Part 2 – Locker Rooms, Pressure and Promise - Continue the conversation with hosts Jackie and Michelle as they talk about hockey locker rooms, pressure, and promise with Bantam AAA coach and Brandon School Division Paul Mandziuk and Brandon University researcher Dr. Tim Skuce.
- Finish him! Hockey, masculinity, and culture - Join hosts Jackie and Michelle as they talk about hockey culture and masculinity with BU researcher Dr. Tim Skuce and Bantam AAA coach and Brandon School Division teacher Paul Mandziuk.
- Effective Reading Instruction with Kathie and Joe - Join hosts Jackie and Michelle as they discuss effective reading instruction with Dr. Joe Stoeffer of Brandon University's Faculty of Education and Kathie Sutherland of Brandon School Division.