Community Mental Health Nurse
Expires: August 2nd, 2019
Community Mental Health Nurse
Government of Yukon -> Health & Social Services – Mental Wellness and Substance Use – Client Services
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Salary: $76,809 - $88,676 per annum
Closing date: August 2, 2019
This is an until-filled competition which will be used to fill one permanent full-time position working 75 hours bi-weekly.
Please note that applications will be assessed on a regular basis, so candidates are encouraged not to delay submitting their application as this posting can close at any time with 24-hours posted notice.
Reporting to the Supervisor of the Psychiatric Outreach Program, you will be responsible for conducting mental health assessments, and developing and implementing treatment plans, including mental health counselling to clients with serious, persistent mental illnesses in Yukon. In this position, you will primarily serve, but are not limited to serving, the residents of a supported transitional living residence for individuals with diagnosed mental disorders. As a Community Mental Health Nurse, you will work collaboratively with Mental Health Support Workers and other Health and Social Services professionals to implement treatment plans that assist clients to learn about strategies to manage their mental illness and transition towards independent living.
Additional clinical roles include consulting with allied professionals and providing education to support staff regarding mental disorders and best practices for managing these; specifically, providing medication recommendations to support staff and professionals. You will further be responsible for researching how other jurisdictions have provided a similar service. There will also be a policy development and writing component for the ongoing delivery of service within the residence.
For more information about this position, please contact Jessica Murphy, Supervisor - Psychiatric Outreach Program Services, at (867) 667-8346 or email@example.com.
For more information about the recruitment process, please contact Deirdre Monaghan, Human Resources Consultant, at (867) 334-8165 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications. Please be specific with how your work experiences and related duties align with the essential qualifications listed below:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing combined with coursework in mental health or a psychiatric nursing degree / diploma;
- Experience in providing assessment, nursing intervention, and support services to clients with a range of serious, persistent mental illnesses and issues (i.e., schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, anxiety, substance use concerns, interpersonal conflicts, etc.);
- Experience providing psychoeducation to clients, families and support staff;
- Experience conducting research (i.e., how other mental health or social programs operate), an asset; and
- Experience developing and writing policy, an asset.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
- Self-awareness, as it pertains to bias and impact on others;
- Strong knowledge and experience in nursing best practices and standards;
- Ability to provide direction and deliver service in a competent, safe and ethical manner;
- Ability to plan, organize and manage a diverse case load;
- Excellent oral and written clinical communication skills;
- Excellent ability to initiate relationships with clients, their families and other health professionals;
- Ability to provide clear information and direction to various stakeholders regarding clients with serious mental health illnesses;
- Enthusiastic, highly motivated approach and ability to produce effective results;
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills;
- Ability to take a broad-based, strategic approach to planning;
- Ability to work autonomously and also within a multi-disciplinary team; and
- Commitment to excellent client service and innovation.
Conditions of Employment:
- TB Screening;
- Vulnerable Sector Security Clearance;
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence or equivalent;
- Eligibility for registration with the Yukon Registered Nurses Association; and
- Verification of degree(s).
- Exposure to clients who: Engage in unpredictable behaviour and may pose a risk to themselves or others; Show signs and symptoms of a deteriorating mental status; Are in a highly aroused emotional state that could require RCMP assistance to manage.
- Occasional overnight travel throughout territory.
Learn more about us! Yukon government has been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers since 2014!
To learn more about what Yukon has to offer, check out these links:
We are the Yukon public service. Every day, we come together to serve the people who live here, and to make a difference in so many ways—from simple to extraordinary and everything in between. Here, you will find the diverse opportunities you desire to develop your career while enjoying a warm sense of community and vibrant artistic, cultural and recreational amenities, all set in a spectacular natural environment.
How to Apply:
To apply for the position of Community Mental Health Nurse, and for full details on the requirements of the role, please visit: http://employment.gov.yk.ca.
"Committed to Employment Equity"