Expires: August 8th, 2019
NN1 Nurse 1
Department of Families
Manitoba Developmental Centre/Community Service Delivery
Portage la Prairie MB
Advertisement Number: 34339
Salary(s): NN1 $71,873.00 - $84,743.00 per year Plus Qualification Pay, if applicable.
Closing Date: July 15, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Graduates able to obtain licensure, and candidates expected to graduate and obtain licensure within 3 months of application, are encouraged to apply however will be compensated at the Nurse Graduate level until fully licensed as a Practicing Nurse.
This opportunity will be open until filled.
Manitoba Developmental Centre (MDC), located 45 minutes west of Winnipeg in the City of Portage la Prairie, is an accredited residential care facility providing care, supervision and developmental programs for adults with an intellectual disability. If you are looking for a rewarding and exciting career, this is a great opportunity to join our team.
The Manitoba government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be actively registered and in good standing, with the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba (CRPNM). Graduates able to obtain licensure will be considered on an underfill basis
- Must be able to work all shifts (inclusive of days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays)
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Must be physically able to perform the tasks of the position including bending, lifting, moving, transferring residents, loads up to 14 kg (30 lbs) and being on your feet for extended periods of time
- Experience providing direct resident care and developing, implementing and evaluating individual care plans for acute, complex or high risk behavioural and/or mental health needs
- Experience accurately recording and reporting health record information (i.e.: charting, clinical notes, etc.)
- Experience performing nursing assessments and clinical nursing interventions
- Ability to exercise good judgment in response to emergencies and incidents
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Experience interpreting and applying policies or procedures
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Basic computer experience including Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel and Outlook) or equivalent software applications
- Knowledge of current trends and issues related to needs of adults with intellectual disabilities and dual diagnosis
- Experience leading or supervising a team including orienting new staff, assigning work, addressing performance and attendance issues, and coaching and mentoring
The Duty Nurse works within an interdisciplinary team service model and applies the professional nursing process to deliver clinical nursing care interventions, including both mental health status and physical assessments, to adults with an intellectual disability who often have dual diagnoses. The incumbent may be required to support persons with acute, complex or high-risk behavioural and/or mental health needs. The incumbent functions under The Registered Psychiatric Nurses Act in accordance with the framework of the College competencies (CRPNM). As a nursing professional, the incumbent works on a shift basis and provides leadership, supervision and feedback to Psychiatric Nursing Assistants and other support staff. The incumbent may assume supervisory responsibilities of a residential area in the absence of the Residential Coordinator and, in the absence of a Night Charge Nurse, the Duty Nurse may be required to assume centre-wide "on-site" supervisory responsibilities.
Advertisement # 34339
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 0C4
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.