Licensed Practical Nurse
Expires: July 1st, 2019
Licensed Practical Nurse
LPN Licensed Practical Nurse
Department of Families
Manitoba Developmental Centre, Community Service Delivery
Portage la Prairie MB
Advertisement Number: 35301
Salary(s): LPN $58,596.00 - $67,621.00 per year
Closing Date: July 2, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resume or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Graduates able to obtain licensure are encouraged to apply. This opportunity will be open until filled.
Consider this excellent opportunity with the Manitoba government at the Manitoba Developmental Centre (MDC), located 45 minutes west of Winnipeg in the City of Portage la Prairie. The Manitoba Developmental Centre (MDC), a branch of the Department of Families, is an accredited facility providing residential care, supervision and developmental habilitation for adults with intellectual disabilities. On-site interdisciplinary teams provide a wide range of services to residents to ensure that every individual's needs are met and that his/her quality of life is enhanced. The Manitoba government has a comprehensive benefits package which includes extended health, health spending, dental, vision, long term disability, supportive employment, maternity and parental leave, and a defined pension plan.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be actively registered, in good standing, (or eligible to obtain registration) with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba (CLPNM). Will also consider graduates able to obtain licensure
- Must be physically able to perform the tasks of the position including, but not limited to: bending, lifting, moving, transferring residents, loads up to 13.6 kg (30 lbs) and being on your feet for extended periods of time
- Must be able to work all shifts (inclusive of days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays)
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Experience providing direct resident care and developing, implementing and evaluating individual care plans
- Experience accurately recording and reporting health record information (i.e. charting, clinical notes, etc.)
- Experience performing nursing assessments and clinical nursing interventions
- Ability to exercise good judgment in response to emergencies and untoward incidents
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Experience interpreting and applying policies or procedures
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Basic computer experience including Microsoft Office Programs such as Word, Excel and Outlook or equivalent software applications
- Knowledge of current trends and issues related to the needs of adults with intellectual disabilities and dual diagnoses
- Experience leading or supervising a team including orienting new staff, assigning work, addressing performance and attendance issues and coaching and mentoring
The Licensed Practical Nurse works within an interdisciplinary team service model and applies the professional nursing process to deliver clinical nursing care interventions, including both mental health status and physical assessments, to adults with an intellectual disability who often have dual diagnoses. The incumbent functions under the Licensed Practical Nurses Act in accordance with the framework of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba. As a nursing professional, the incumbent provides leadership, supervision and feedback on a shift basis to Psychiatric Nursing Assistants and other support staff. The incumbent may assume supervisory responsibilities of a residential area in the absence of the Residential Coordinator.
Advertisement # 35301
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3B 2A9
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resume and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.