Research Support Services Worker: Stream 1-Greenhouse/ Stream 2-Field
Expires: January 25th, 2020
Research Support Services Worker: Stream 1 - Greenhouse / Stream 2 - Field
Reference number: AGR19J-020302-000416
Selection process number: 19-AGR-MBSK-EA-ST-229
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada - Science and Technology Branch
Brandon (Manitoba), Carberry (Manitoba), Portage la Prairie (Manitoba), Saskatoon (Saskatchewan), Lacombe (Alberta)
$25.21 to $27.39 per hour
Closing Date: January 24, 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
AAFC is committed to diversity and inclusion and is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s best diversity employers. We welcome all applicants and strongly encourage candidates to self-declare if they belong to an Employment Equity designated group (i.e. Aboriginal Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, Visible Minorities or Women).
Stream 1: 1 full time permanent position in Brandon, Manitoba.
Stream 2: 1 full time permanent position in Brandon, Manitoba.
A pool of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar permanent and temporary employment for Brandon (Manitoba), Carberry (Manitoba), Portage la Prairie (Manitoba), Saskatoon (Saskatchewan) and Lacombe (Alberta).
In the event that an employee of the public service is qualified through this process, and there is a temporary need, he/she may be considered for acting, deployment, assignment or secondment opportunities.
Positions to be filled: 2
Information you must provide:
- Your résumé
- Contact information for 2 references.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (Essential Qualifications):
Both Streams: Successful completion of secondary school diploma OR an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience
- Experience in plant care including pest management, plant maintenance and propagation.
- Experience in the operation of plot scale (harvesters, seeders, sprayers) and/or farm equipment (eg tractors, combine, farm trucks).
- Experience working with field crops and weed species.
- Experience in processing seed (e.g. cleaning) and/or soil (e.g. collecting) samples.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (Other Qualifications):
- Experience in working in an agricultural research environment.
- Pesticide Applicator’s License issued by Manitoba for field application or greenhouse application.
- Forklift Operator’s License issued by a provincially certified agency.
- Diploma or certificate in nursery and/or greenhouse production management, plant science or horticulture from a recognized agricultural education program.
- Experience in the operation of environmental control systems.
- Experience by way of training in greenhouse management or plant propagation.
The following will be applied/assessed at a later date (Essential For The Job):
Language - English essential
- Knowledge of crop production.
- Ability to identify major grain crop species.
- Ability to perform basic data entry and data management using Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Ability to record information for the purposes of record keeping – accurately and legibly.
- Concern for Safety
- Planning and Organizing
- Interactive Communication
- Knowledge of modern greenhouse practices, plant maintenance and growing conditions in controlled environments.
- Knowledge of greenhouse fertilizers and pest control products including preparation and application.
- Knowledge of the main greenhouse crop pests and diseases.
- Ability to perform dosage and dilution calculations for preparing pesticide solutions.
- Knowledge of field chemicals.
- Knowledge of crop pests and diseases.
- Ability to operate agricultural/farm equipment.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability and willingness to work on rotating schedules for weekends.
Conditions of Employment:
- Reliability Status security clearance
- Ability and willingness to control allergies, through the use of personal protective equipment and/or medication and must not impinge on tasks to be performed.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Ability and willingness to work in harsh environments (outdoors, cold, hot, dust and noise).
- Ability and willingness to work overtime including evening, weekends and statutory holidays.
- Ability and willingness to work with chemicals and pesticides.
- Ability and willingness to perform physically demanding work including moderate to heavy manual labour requiring bending and lifting heavy objects (up to 25kg)
- Ability and willingness to obtain a Pesticide Applicators License issued by the Manitoba Agriculture within eighteen months of appointment.
- Ability and willingness to obtain a Forklift Operator’s License issued by a provincially certified agency within one year of appointment
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Appointment decisions may be based on one or more of the following criteria:
- Matching of the individual's experience or qualifications to the strengths and weaknesses of the work team.
- Matching of the individual's experience or qualifications to the specific duties of the position being staffed.
- Depth, breadth, type of work-specific experience.
- Level/degree of one or more competencies/qualifications.
A test may be administered.
An interview may be administered.
Reference checks may be sought.
You must provide proof of your education credentials.
Asset qualifications may be used in the determination of those to be given further consideration in the assessment process.
You must apply on-line through jobs.gc.ca.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.