Expires: July 11th, 2019
Job Req ID: 73539
Job Req ID: 73537
Job Req ID: 73528
Job req ID: 73526
Location: Port Coquitlam
Job Req ID: 73541
Job Req ID: 73536
Job Req ID: 73540
Location: Moose Jaw
Job Req ID: 73532
Job Req ID: 73544
Location: Thunder Bay
Qualified Train Conductor - $20k Signing Bonus
Job Req ID: 75448
Job Req ID: 75449
Qualified Locomotive Engineer - $30k Signing Bonus
Job Req ID: 75450
Job Req ID: 75451
Job Req ID: 75452
Job Req ID: 75453
Location: Port Coquitlam
If interested, please apply online at www.cpr.ca/en/careers/ to one of the above jobs requisitions.
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
Are you looking for an exciting career? Becoming a Train Conductor is the perfect career for you!
As a Train Conductor you will start your rewarding long term career at CP.
As a Train Conductor you will work as a member of a train crew that will assist with switching cars, making or splitting up trains in yards, or moving cars between yards, sidings or tracks.
- Work in either train or yard service depending on their seniority;
- Carry out specific instructions detailing a train's route and specific movements;
- Handle the switching of cars, including coupling and uncoupling cars, and is able to lift out coupling device;
- Observe, interpret, and relay signals and other indications affecting movement of train;
- Signal crew members for movement of the engine or train using specific signals, or radio to indicate when to start, stop, back-up, set or release air brakes;
- Provide flag protection and relays signals to trains in an emergency situation, as stipulated in the operating rules;
- Move on and off moving or stationary equipment while train is performing industrial, station, or yard switching;
- Ride moving car by hanging onto grab irons or ladder, sometimes for extended periods of time;
- Fill out forms including train orders and switch lists and prepares required clear and legible reports;
- Work irregular hours, including holidays, weekends, days and nights and for periods of time up to 12 hours;
- Must be constantly alert to changing conditions and events and take safe and responsible action as required.
- High School Graduation or General Equivalency Diploma (GED);
- 3 to 5 years’ work experience with a demonstrated safe work record;
- Valid driver's license is preferred;
- Must be at least 18 years old;
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude;
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision;
- Able to take action and/or make decisions affecting security/well-being of others, i.e. alerting others to unsafe conditions;
- Must have good spatial ability with regard to a sense of layout and space, together with an ability to judge speed and/or distance of moving objects;
- Able to communicate effectively both oral and in written;
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to operate as a contributing member of a team;
- Must be prepared to work weekends and shifts - on call 24 hours/day with 2 Hours’ notice depending on location, (with exception of Annual Vacation);
- Work may require extended time away from home;
- Must be able to pass the required examinations, read and understand safety instructions, books of rules, instructions and regulations, timetables, bulletins, waybills, placards, and other written or printed material;
- Must be prepared to work in adverse weather conditions;
- May be required to lift up to 80 lbs.
- Must be able to cross the United States border for work purposes;
- Must be able to obtain a passport.
- Flexible and competitive benefits package;
- Competitive company pension plan;
- Employee Share Purchase Plan;
- Performance Incentive Program;
- Annual Fitness Subsidy.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").