Progressive Merit Program
The CTLT is in the process of establishing a system of micro-credentialing we call our Progressive Merit Program.
The purpose of this program is to acknowledge, challenge,
and recognize the acquisition of teaching techniques,
tactics, and skills to enhance teaching and learning at Brandon University.
The progressive merit program will assist faculty by:
- documenting skills and achievements
- allowing for flexible learning
- building communities for teaching and learning.
What kinds of activities are eligible for receiving merit?
Currently, the CTLT is awarding merit acknowledgment in three areas:
Building Merit can be earned by:
- participating on the CTLT Steering Committee
- participating as a CTLT Teaching Affiliate
- participating as a member of a major committee for CTLT events.
The CTLT is in the process of establishing criteria for earning merit.
How does the process of awarding merit work?
The CTLT uses the Badges function of Moodle to award merit. To receive merit awards you must have logged on to Moodle and set up your Moodle profile.
The following is the process for awarding merit.
- Director identifies individuals who have achieved the requirements to a for a merit award.
- Director uses the Badges function of Moodle to award a merit to individuals for achievement of specified criteria. The merit award includes a digital image and digital documentation about the award. The certification document includes the following information:
- name of merit
- date awarded
- description of the merit (can include when it was awarded, criteria for awarding the merit, and other information)
- issuer details (name, contact information)
- expiry date (if it applies)
- criteria for awarding merit
- Moodle sends out a message to the individuals that they have received a merit and the opportunity to manage their merits.
- The persons receiving merit receive a message that they have received a merit and the digital merit will appear in their Moodle profile.
How can I view my merit?
Your merit will be part of your Moodle profile.
- To view a profile, move the cursor to the upper right corner of the Moodle page, over your name. Click on your full name and your profile will appear.
- The message give receive when you are awarded a merit also gives you a link to “Manage Badges”. This link takes you to a page where you can share your merit with other websites and programs. If you are not wanting to share your merit with other sites at this time, you do not need to go to the link.
How do I share my merit with other sites?
Moodle works with Mozilla Backpack to help you share your merit with other sites. You can also download the digital image and accompanying documentation to the Mozilla Backpack so that they can be viewed on other documents such as portfolios and webpages. Go to Mozilla Backpack to set up an account with them to transfer your merit.
Once you have a Mozilla Backpack account you can download the merits to this account. Use Moodle’s “Manage Badges” page to help you do this.
There are two ways to go to go to the screen that helps you share your merit with other sites.
- If you know you want to share your merit with another site when you receive you merit, use the “Manage Badges” link from your email.
- If you decide later you want to share your merit with another site, you can use the drop down menu in the upper right corner of your Moodle page that appears when you move your cursor over your name. From this menu, choose Badges.
Once you are at the manage badges page, click on the download link to download the badge. Follow instructions from Mozilla Backpack to complete your transfer.
Moodle can also be set to send a file to print a paper certificate of the micro-credential. The CTLT is investigating this option. Check with the CTLT to see if this option is currently available. If not, you can request the CTLT to issue you a hard copy certificate of your merit.