The following is your guide to information on teaching, learning, and technology. The links and resources have been identified by faculty of Brandon University. If you have a site you would like to share, please pass the information on to the CTLT and it can be posted to this site.
We have organized the links under the following topics:
- Teaching and Learning Resources
- Technology Resources
- Examples of Teaching and Learning Events
- Resources Available in the Library and Newsletters.
Teaching and Learning Resources
Follow the links for teaching and learning resources in the following areas:
- Teaching & Learning Theories and Principles
- General Course Design
- Learner Needs and Other Factors
- Teaching and Learning Goals, Objectives, and Outcomes
- Student-centred Teaching & Learning
- Lesson Planning
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Audio/Video Feedback for Assessments
- Faculty Evaluation
- Teaching Triangles
- Teaching Circles/Learning Communities
Strategies/Tactics/Techniques for Teaching and Learning
- Strategies for First Day and Last Day of Class
- Supporting Transgender Students
- Pacing Your Lecture / Interaction / Flipping the Classroom
- Teaching Large Classes
- Teaching Millennial Students
- What the Best College Teachers Do
- Universal Design for Learning
- Digital Academic Identity
- Tips and Tools for Saving Time.
Follow the links for educational technology resources in the following areas:
- General Technology Resources
- Learning Management System (Moodle)
- Video Conferencing
- Social Media
- Concept/Mind Mapping
- Collaborating / Writing
- Guiding Student Learning
- Personal Response Systems (clickers and others)
- Using Mobile Devices and Apps
- Organizing, Scheduling, & Note Taking.
Examples/Models of Teaching and Learning Techniques
- Engaging Students with Traditional Lecture, Pat Thiel (46:31 minute video) showing interactive lecture from Iowa State University
- Active Learning with Dr Richard Felder: 11:43 minute YouTube video with Dr Felder walking through a class discussing how to use more active learning.
- Managing Discussions (6:46 minute video) showing how to manage large classroom discussions and building community from Iowa State University
- Group Quizzes (6:20 minute video) showing how to set up group quizzes during lectures to large groups from Iowa State University
- Eric Mazur demonstrating using ConcepTests (8:21 minute video )
- Example of Microlecturing/Whole Brain Teaching (5:24 minute video)
- Flipped Teaching Approach to Case-Based Learning from D. Niels Koehncke, an associate professor in the Department of Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan (5:19 minute video)
- Modeling Effective Teaching Techniques: Dr. Mike Clough (7:31 minute video)
- Strategies for Student Centred Learning: from the Teaching Channel (6:56 minute video)
- Classroom Assessment Techniques: Concept Maps: Dr. Karen Rohrbauck Stout from Western Washington University (6:27 minute video). Scroll below the video to see link to additional resources.
- Video guides to reading assignments (EDUCAUSE Review)
Flipboard Magazines from the CTLT
Resources Available in the Library and Newsletters
Bain Ken:What the best college teachers do. LB2331.B35: Second Floor
Barkley, Elizabeth F.: Student engagement techniques: a handbook for college faculty. LB2342.92.B37 2010: Second Floor
Fink, L. Dee. : Creating significant learning experiences: an integrated approach to designing college courses. LB2331.F459 2013: Second Floor
Faculty Focus: an online magazine dedicated to higher education teaching strategies, from Magna Publications. You can sign up for a free newsletter from this site. The newsletters have valuable information for teaching faculty.
The Critical Thinking Community: an online newsletter to share links to all kinds of resources on critical thinking, including: books, conferences, resources for educators, professional development, conferences/events. news, assessment & testing, and online learning.