English Language Waiver
English Language Waiver
In lieu of providing proof of English proficiency, students may obtain an English Language Waiver by meeting one of the following conditions:
- Successful completion of a three-year secondary school program in Canada or the United States, or successful completion of an accredited three-year post-secondary program in Canada or the United States, or any combination of three successful years of secondary and post-secondary education in Canada or the United States. Overall post-secondary cumulative GPA must be a minimum of 2.0.
- Graduation from a Manitoba high school with at least one Grade 12 40S English credit with a minimum grade of 70% or better.
- Graduation from a Canadian high school (outside Manitoba) with at least one Grade 12 English credit equivalent to Manitoba 40S with a minimum grade of 70%.
- Completion of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level (HL) English course with a score of four or greater.
- Completion of Advanced Placement (AP) English, Literature and Composition or Language and Composition with a score of four or greater.
- Completion of an accredited first undergraduate degree from an English-speaking institution.
- Residence in Canada for a minimum of 10 consecutive years. The period of residency will be the time between the “Landed On” date on the Record of Landing Document and the first day of classes in the term the applicant intends to register. The Record of Landing Document must be presented to the Admissions Office.
Note: Where high school English courses are referenced in the foregoing, courses with an “E” designation or any equivalent designation are not acceptable. Canadian high school graduates who have completed English courses with an ‘E’ designation or equivalent will be required to submit proof of English proficiency or 70% in English 40S equivalent. Also, any “EAP” “EAL”, “ESL”, or equivalent courses or programs completed at another post-secondary institution are not acceptable for the purpose of being granted a waiver of the English Language Proficiency Requirement.
English language proficiency is required for permanent residents of Canada and international students. Students can be exempted from this requirement if they either are a citizen of an exempt country, or meet one of our English proficiency waivers. If you believe you meet one of our waivers, then you must notify us of which waiver you believe you meet (to be added to your application) by emailing Admissions@BrandonU.ca. Citizens of exempt countries are flagged automatically upon application.