Legacy Wireless network
There are currently 3 wireless networks available on campus, Staff-BU, BU-Public, and eduroam.
Conditions and Terms of agreement:
- When accessing a Brandon University Wireless connection, the user is agreeing to the terms and conditions of the Brandon University Computer Acceptable Use Policy.
- Brandon University Wireless Connections are for the use of faculty, staff, registered students, and authorized guests.
The Staff-BU network gives you the same access as would being connected via a network cable. However, the BU-Public network has certain restrictions applied and therefore some programs & ports may not function. (e.g. smtp). Eduroam is for use both on and off-campus between participating institutions.
The instructions on which one you should use, and how to use them is as follows:
Staff or Faculty members should connect to the Staff-BU network.
- Windows users will need to configure some settings before connecting to Staff-BU. Other systems seem to let you connect without addition settings. See the Windows instructions here
- Just connect to Staff-BU and it should ask for your username and password. Note that you can’t use an expired password when connecting.
Students only have access to BU-Public.
- Connect to BU-Public
- Next, open up an internet browser on your computer/device, and upon connecting to the first site you will be asked to enter your BU userid and password.
Guests at Brandon University can use eduroam if they are from a participating institution, otherwise the will need to fill out a form (or have a BU employee fill it out for them) at the Helpdesk to be given a temporary wireless account.
- After being given a temporary account you may connect to BU-Public
- Next, open up an internet browser on your computer/device, and upon connecting to the first site you will be asked to enter your temporary userid and password.
- These temporary wireless accounts will have an expiry date.
eduroam is a world-wide wireless network where you can travel between institutions and use only your email address and password from your home institution. Visit our eduroam page for more details.