3rd Class or 4th Class Power Engineer, Physical Plant
Application forms are available on the Brandon University website on Careers@BU or in the hall outside the Human Resources Office, 337 Clark Hall, 270-18th Street, Brandon, MB, R7A 6A9. Completed applications are accepted in-person, by mail, by fax to (204) 726-1957, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Applications are to be received by: 4:30pm on June 1, 2018
Classification: 3rd Class or 4th Class Power Engineer
Employee Group: IUOE (A)
Department: Physical Plant
Wage: $31.78 4th Class, $34.65 3rd Class
Start Date: July 2, 2018 (or as arranged)
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week
Date Issued: May 11 2018
- Perform maintenance, installation and repair of various types of Brandon University mechanical equipment and machinery including pumps, fans, controls, motors, various types of compressors, kitchen equipment, laundry equipment, grounds equipment, etc.,
- Assist in the full operation and maintenance of the Physical Plant as directed,
- Install and maintain all pipes and equipment related to steam and Hydronic systems,
- Install and maintain pipe and equipment insulation,
- Keep Chief Engineer apprised of all pertinent information regarding the functions within the Physical Plant,
- Respond to emergency calls as directed,
- Rotate as Shift Engineer and participate in stand-by and Guarded Status rotations,
- May require heavy lifting, bending and working on elevated aerial platform equipment and working in confined spaces and enclosures,
- Communicate effectively with customers when work is to be done to ensure minimal disruption,
- Inform Chief Engineer when repair materials are low or when various building and equipment repairs are required,
- Ensure that work areas, equipment, tools, materials, etc. are properly maintained,
- May fabricate, repair and maintain various items utilizing various types of welding and metal cutting,
- Perform all required aspects of preventive maintenance on HVAC and auxiliary equipment,
- Use a full array of various hand and power tools.
- Notify Chief Engineer when additional help is required.
- Perform required duties on all Brandon University-owned properties, and
- Perform other related duties as assigned, not exceeding skills and capabilities.
- High School diploma or GED,
- Standardized Third Class Power Engineering Certificate recognized by the Province of Manitoba Department of Labour, or a Fourth Class Power Engineer with significant progression towards Third Class Power Engineer certification,
- Minimum two years working experience in the installation, operation and maintenance of HVAC equipment, steam boilers and chillers,
- Maintain a valid Manitoba driver’s license,
- Computer skills including word processing, data entry, Internet, email, etc.,
- Strong troubleshooting and mechanical skills with the ability to troubleshoot issues on mechanical equipment,
- This position is subject to a Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry Check.
- Qualification in an additional trade as recognized by the Province of Manitoba Department of Labour,
- Training and experience in the installation, operation and maintenance of Direct Digital Control (DDC) systems,
- Experience in welding and metal fabrication,
- Previous Guarded Status and low pressure heating plant experience,
- MOPIA Certification.
- Experience in an institutional environment is considered an asset.
This position is subject to a Child Abuse Registry Check and a Criminal Record Check. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.
Brandon University is committed to equity, welcomes diversity, and hires on the basis of merit. All qualified individuals who may contribute to the diversification of the University, especially women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons, racialized persons, and persons of all sexual orientations and genders are encouraged to apply. Canadian citizens and permanent residents are given priority. Evidence of citizenship must be provided.
To ensure this employment opportunity is accessible to all interested individuals, please advise of any accessibility needs by contacting the Human Resources office at (204)727-9782 or. This posting is available in an alternate format upon request.
May 11 2018