Academic Residence Assistant
Applications must be received by September 25, 2018
Classification: Academic Residence Assistant
Employee Group: PSAC
Job Title: Academic Residence Assistant
Department: Residence Hall Programs Office
Wage or Salary: $786.15 for each term (Fall and Winter)
Hours of Work: Between 6-8 hours per week
Start Date: October 1, 2018
Length of Appointment: October 1, 2018 to April 24, 2019
Number of Positions Available: Up to two positions
Date Issued: September 11, 2018
- Welcoming and becoming acquainted with first-year students in all three residences.
- Promoting academic skills activities utilizing resources from the Department of Student Services, and liaising with professional academic skills staff to maximize their impact in the residence.
- Assisting residents with the utilization of campus learning resources.
- Working with students wanting to establish study groups and acting as a resource for those residents.
- Providing one-to-one learning skills assistance to students, in consultation with the Learning Skills Associate in Student Services.
- Keeping a weekly log/statistics of individual contacts with students.
- Identifying students who may be having difficulty in adjusting to residence or academic life, and working with the RHPO, the Residence Assistants, and Student Services professionals to provide support for such residents.
- Working with Residence Council members in the planning and delivery of academic programming that enhances and encourages student engagement.
- and other related duties as assigned.
Applicants must satisfy a number of requirements that include the following:
- Live in residence, at normal room and board rates, maintain full-time student status, for the 2018-2019 academic year
- Residence life experience and a high residence profile
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Knowledge of campus and community academic resources
- Basic computer skills and experience using the Brandon University computer network
- Demonstrated experience in planning, organizing, and leading group events
- The ability to communicate with individuals and with groups effectively
Interested applicants can submit a resume and a letter detailing their qualifications to:
Derek Booth, Acting Residence Manager, Residence Hall Programs Office Main Floor, McMaster Hall
Brandon University is committed to equity, welcomes diversity, and hires on the basis of merit. All qualified individuals who may contribute to the diversification of the University, especially women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons, racialized persons, and persons of all sexual orientations and genders are encouraged to apply. Canadian citizens and permanent residents are given priority. Evidence of citizenship must be provided.
To ensure this employment opportunity is accessible to all interested individuals, please advise of any accessibility needs by contacting the Human Resources office at (204)727-9782 or email@example.com. This posting is available in an alternate format.