Development Officer, Advancement & External Relations
This new position offers the opportunity to join a friendly campus and dynamic, collaborative team that utilizes each other’s strengths and skills, recognizes and celebrates successes. The incumbent will enjoy competitive compensation, an outstanding benefits package, work life balance and a tuition waiver for self and immediate family members.
Brandon University combines proud tradition with shared ambition at our growing, progressive campus, where we welcome a diverse and inclusive community. Through our excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship, we educate students to make a meaningful difference as engaged citizens and leaders, with programs and research in Arts, Science, Education, Music and Health Studies. Our roots date back to our foundation in 1899 as Brandon College, and through 2017–18 we celebrated the 50th anniversary of our charter as a university. Join us at BrandonU.ca
Reporting to the Director of Advancement & Alumni Affairs, the Development Officer will assist in the development and implementation of short and long-term strategies to identify, cultivate, track and solicit alumni, and friends of the University for philanthropic gifts to fund institutional priorities. Utilizing best practices, additional activities will include:
• Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects, including identification, qualification and assist with the solicitation of requests;
• Solicit prospects individually or orchestrate solicitation utilizing appropriate volunteers and/or senior administration/faculty;
• Participate in and assist with donor recognition, stewardship activities, special events, alumni and appropriate campus activities;
• Represent the University to external community and facilitate relationships;
• Utilize superior writing and editing skills to develop brochures, correspondence, funding proposals and related communications;
• Assist with other departmental, alumni and University related activities, events and fundraising initiatives; and
• Must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends. Some travel will be required.
Ideal Candidates Will Have
• Bachelor’s degree (or combination of education and experience) and be willing to work towards a CFRE designation;
• 3+ years of fund development experience including major gifts, gift planning, corporate and foundation relations, capital campaigns;
• Experience creating proposals, case statements, reports, correspondence and department-related communication material;
• Experience building and executing successful social media or crowdfunding campaigns;
• Demonstrated ability to administer, coordinate and participate in major gift fundraising activities and proposal development;
• Database management, event coordination and volunteer management experience;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills and experience dealing with highly confidential and sensitive information; and
• Comfort working in a collaborative environment where individual member perspectives are welcomed and valued.
For more information about this opportunity to work in an exceptional team environment, please contact Jen or Alora at 204-942-8735 at Harris Leadership Strategies. To apply, send a resume and cover letter in confidence to: Jen@harrisleadership.com quoting project #19106.
Brandon University is committed to equity, welcomes diversity and hires on the basis of merit. All qualified individuals who may contribute to the diversification of the University, especially women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons, racialized persons and persons of all sexual orientations and genders are encouraged to apply. In accordance with Canadian Immigrations requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. This is available in an alternate format by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Issued October 26, 2018.