Monday, August 8, 2011
Brandon, MB — For a second year, a six-concert series will showcase the talents of alumni — professional musicians who trained at Brandon University and now return to their alma mater to share their talents. Beginning this evening, the concert programmes will present a range of works, from the classical period to newly composed jazz pieces.
“This is an exciting opportunity for members of the BU community and Brandon in general to hear some of our most esteemed alumni,” said Dr. Michael Kim, the Dean of the School of Music. “We’re very proud of their accomplishments and they really represent the excellence of the BU School of Music.”
The schedule is as follows:
• Monday, August 8 — As she has done on numerous occasions in the past, Toronto-based ‘cellist Laura Jones will collaborate with her father, Dr. Lawrence Jones, Professor Emeritus of the School of Music and its former Dean;
• Tuesday, August 9 — Soprano Millicent Scarlett, from Washington DC, will perform with local pianist Kara Dixon;
• Wednesday, August 10 — The Augustfest Chamber Ensemble, composed of violinist Joan Dillon, who returns to BU from her homebase in Holland for this series, violist Greg Hay of Winnipeg, Toronto ‘cellist Laura Jones and Winnipeg pianist Donna Laube, will offer quartet gems;
• Thursday, August 11 — Jana Starling, who now teaching in Phoenix, will present works for the clarinet;
• Friday, August 12 — Baritone and guitarist Douglas McNaughton sheds his operatic cloak for this evening in his hometown; and
• Saturday, August 13 — Most recently, jazz vocalist Katherine Penfold has been sharing her talent on the B.C. Coast, but she is back in Southwestern Manitoba where she grew up, for one performance.
“This is a wonderful opportunity to showcase the talent of our graduates. These gifted and accomplished BU Music grads are generously and graciously benefitting the community through these performances within the Brandon community,” said Dr. Deborah Poff, the President and Vice-Chancellor of Brandon University.
All Augustfest performances will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will take place in the Lorne Watson Recital Hall. Tickets are available in the School of Music office and at the door.
For further details or to purchase tickets, please visit:
The School of Music Office