BRANDON, MB– Brandon University (BU) is proud to announce the naming of the original campus gymnasium in honour of the late Henry Champ, Chancellor 2008-2012, with a commemorative ceremony planned for the new year.
“Henry was a sports enthusiast,” says BU President and Vice-Chancellor Dr. Deborah Poff. “During his student days at Brandon University, Henry was a remarkable athlete and passionate supporter. He stayed connected to BU sports through his entire life and recruited top athletes to campus. Our University is a better place because of Henry Champ’s dedication and commitment.”
A native of Hartney, MB, Henry Champ attended BU in 1957 and 1958. He would travel the world through the next five decades; one of the world’s top foreign correspondents reporting from places including El Salvador, Nicaragua, Chile, the Middle East, Vietnam and Washington, DC. Despite his globe-trotting career, Henry never forgot his Wheat City roots, serving BU in many capacities including as member of the Brandon University Foundation. In 2005 he was awarded an honorary doctor of laws degree for his service.
Installed as BU’s sixth Chancellor in November 2008, Henry enjoyed visiting and reminiscing about his own time spent on campus. Thanks to online broadcasting, he rarely missed a Bobcats game and took part in a Bobcat Booster Club meeting days before his passing in September.
Henry had a special interest in recruiting international students to BU – including Bobcat point guard Ilarion Bonhomme, Canada West Rookie of the Year in 2012.
Opened in 1965, the Henry Champ Gymnasium has been home to four Canadian university national championship teams. The storied space is currently being modernized as part of BU’s $24.3-million Healthy Living Centre, with the gym scheduled to be ready in the spring of 2013.
For more information, please contact:
Glen Kirby, Communications Officer
Brandon, MB R7A 6A9
T: (204) 727-9762