Free Day at Healthy Living Centre

This article is over 9 years old.

BRANDON, MB – Year after year, people cite losing weight as their top New Year’s resolution. Make good on your plan in 2015, starting with a free workout during this week’s open house at western Manitoba’s state-of-the-art Healthy Living Centre (HLC) at Brandon University.

HLC Track (web)On Thursday, January 8, from 6 am to 11 pm, area residents are welcome to try out the $20 million facility, which features a trio of gymnasiums, fully-equipped fitness room with resistance and weight training equipment, indoor walking and jogging track, and change rooms with heated floors.

“The HLC has become a fitness centre of choice among area community members,” says HLC Facility Manager Maureen Bonar. “We have more than 1500 members from the community in addition to University staff and students, and about half are 25-50 years of age. They really appreciate the programming and climate-controlled environment.”

The open house will include access to the track and exercise spaces, and equipment demonstrations upon request. Participants are encouraged to bring non-marking shoes, comfortable workout clothing, and a lock for the change room lockers.

Maureen Bonar, HLC Facility Manager
Maureen Bonar, HLC Facility Manager

“Walk the track, hoist some weights, or shoot hoops with the kids,” says Bonar. “We are offering an alternative to winter hibernation. The HLC serves as a place for individuals and families to get a work-out as well as to engage with other members of the community. It is a meeting place where new activities and friendships are often started.”

Participation in regularly-scheduled classes and clubs will also be free for the day, including Yoga Flow, Zumba, TRX, kickboxing, pilates, tabata, badminton, co-ed soccer and co-ed volleyball. Details at www.gobobcats.ca/rec.

HLC memberships are available in one, four and 12 month terms.

Brandon University, founded in 1899, promotes excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship; educating students so that they can make a meaningful difference as engaged citizens and leaders.

-30-

Contact

To receive any BU publication in an alternate format please contact Communications@BrandonU.ca

About BU

Success is built at Brandon University. Our growing, progressive campus welcomes a diverse and inclusive community that combines proud tradition with shared ambition. Through our excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship, we educate students to make a meaningful difference as engaged citizens and leaders. Join us at BrandonU.ca.