Brandon University student earns national scholarship

This article is over 3 years old.

A Brandon University student is one of just four across the country to have received the Mattinson Scholarship for 2020. Noah Monk, a physics major and philosophy minor in his third year at BU, is the first Brandon student to have received the scholarship.

“Brandon University is just the right size for me,” said Monk, who plans to go on to pursue a Master’s degree. “The services here just wouldn’t be the same at a larger place, and I have made good friends with faculty and staff.”

The Mattinson Scholarship is provided annually through Universities Canada and recognizes the success of students with disabilities.

“Coming to university is a big step for all young people. The Mattinson Scholarship gives a little extra help and Noah is a very deserving recipient,” said Dr. Gwyn Richards, a faculty member in mathematics and computer science who wrote a letter of recommendation for Monk. “Noah is a remarkable young man and I was really pleased to see him get this. He has flourished at BU and has found like-minded people. His enthusiasm is endless, which is exactly as it should be.”

Monk, who has a job on campus, writes for student newspaper The Quill, and is an active leader in chess club, said he is thankful for the supports built into BU through Student Accessibility Services.

He also said that he hopes bringing a national scholarship here to Brandon might be an inspiration for other students with disabilities showing that with hard work, persistence, and the appropriate supports, success is possible.

“Noah is also the maker of his own success. He is a hard worker who always wants to grow and learn,” said Morganna Malyon, a Student Accessibility Specialist at BU, where she works with Coordinator Michelle Magnusson, to ensure equitable access to education and supports for students with disabilities.

“This award speaks to the commitment of BU Faculty and staff to accessibility and inclusion of all students,” Malyon said. “Education is valuable for everyone, and it’s important to foster academic, social and vocational success at post-secondary, but we have all had a difficult challenge through the pandemic, and student with disabilities have been disproportionately affected.”

Monk agrees that the pandemic has had an impact.

“It’s been isolating,” he says. “Connecting with people on campus, and faculty members, is really important. I really thank everyone at BU for making those connections as strong as possible.”

Contact

To receive any BU publication in an alternate format please contact Communications@BrandonU.ca

About BU

Success is built at Brandon University. Our growing, progressive campus welcomes a diverse and inclusive community that combines proud tradition with shared ambition. Through our excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship, we educate students to make a meaningful difference as engaged citizens and leaders. Join us at BrandonU.ca.