- This page was last updated March 30 at 4:00 p.m.
Your health and safety are our top concerns, as Brandon University continues to monitor the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus. This virus causes a respiratory disease known as COVID-19.
Campus closed to the public and most students
Brandon University has closed its campus, with extremely limited exceptions.
All buildings are locked, and all employees should work from home, unless they have made specific arrangements with their supervisor to do their work on campus.
While faculty and students are also finishing classes remotely, we recognize that some people will require access to campus facilities. Employee key fob access will be unchanged.
All student key cards have been turned off. If you need campus computers to finish your studies, please contact your dean to request specific building access. Building access will be approved on an individual basis, and for safety reasons buildings will only be accessible to approved students between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
We are taking these and other precautionary steps to ensure the continued safety of all members of our community. We are truly thankful for your ongoing kindness, patience and support.
There is no reason to think that anyone on campus is at immediate risk, and there are no coronavirus or COVID-19 cases identified at Brandon University. You have a role to play that includes certain responsibilities that will help keep everyone safe.
We continue to consult with health authorities, government, and are closely coordinating with other Manitoba post-secondary institutions. We will issue updates via email, social media, and online.
There are many things you can do to help keep everyone safe. Social distancing is a vital way to slow the spread of coronavirus. Please practice social distancing and respect the social distancing efforts of others.
- Courses resumed on Monday, March 23 although there will be no in-person delivery for the remainder of the term. Exams will follow the regular exam schedule.
- Registrations for Fall 2020 begin April 1 for returning students and will be accepted online only.
- There will be no in-person instruction through spring and summer 2020 terms.
- Brandon University has locked its buildings
- Staff and faculty key fob access is unchanged.
- Student key cards has been turned off. Individual students who require campus facilities to complete their studies should make arrangements directly with their deans or with the Dean of Students.
- Online supports have been increased.
During the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Brandon University is encouraging all employees to work from home if they are able. By continuing to reduce the number of people who must come to campus, we are keeping it as safe as possible for those whose work must be done on campus.
All faculty, staff and students who have recently returned from international travel must self-isolate at home for 14 days from date of return to Canada.
All BU-related travel must be pre-approved by your vice president or the president. This includes in-province travel.
If you feel ill, stay home. Practice social distancing and diligent hygiene to stay healthy.
All faculty, staff and students who have symptoms characteristic of COVID-19 should call Health Links at 1-888-315-9257 and immediately begin self-isolating at home.
The BU critical incident team continues to meet and monitor the swiftly changing situation regarding coronavirus and COVID-19. This team brings together people from many areas across campus to share information, coordinate our response, and plan for future action. This team is following our written plan for infectious diseases.
Contact the team at CriticalIncidentTeam@BrandonU.ca.
We know that this is a situation that can cause anxiety and concern.
- BU employees and eligible family members can access supports, including counselling, through Homewood Health. Access their resources online at https://homeweb.ca/ or by phoning their toll-free number 24/7 at 1-800-663-1142.
- BU students have access to our free counselling services located on the first floor of the Mackenzie Building, room 105 or call 204-727-9737 to set up an appointment. More information is available online: https://www.brandonu.ca/student-services/personal-counselling/
Many government and international organizations are responding to the coronavirus spread. Here are some additional websites with significant information:
- Government of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
- Province of Manitoba: http://www.manitoba.ca/health/coronavirus/index.html
- Prairie Mountain Health: https://www.prairiemountainhealth.ca/
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- World Health Organization (WHO): https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus