What education have you taken?
I have a Commerce, Industry, Sales and Marketing Certificate from Red River Community College in Winnipeg. I also have a three year Bachelor of Arts degree from Brandon University, and I will graduate with a Bachelor of Education After-Degree from Brandon University in May 2010.
What accomplishments are you proud of?
- I have various awards and medals from singing and figure skating as a child and young adult.
- Ivolunteered as a Head Coach for Special Olympics for 2 years (1992-1994).
- I volunteered to run a weekly study group for
Introduction to Statistics
students at Brandon University (2005).
- I volunteered my time as a private tutor (off campus) to others that were in need of assistance in English, math, and sociology.
- I participated as a volunteer camp leader for an English Second Language Camphosted byBrandon University (2003).
- I have received three Millenium Bursaries while attending Brandon University.
- Icondensedmy three year Arts degree into two years andmade the Dean’s HonourList both years.
- I was a member of the cast for the production of
at Brandon University and also participated in a presentation of
The Vagina Monologues
performed at BU.
Tell me about yourself.
I am 36 years old, married, and the proud mother of a daughter named Rhianna. I was born in Winnipeg, lived in Arborg, Manitoba,until Grade 1,thenresided in Stonewall for the rest of my school years.My motheris a retired teacherwho graduated from Brandon University years ago, and my father worked for Human Resources withinthe Federal Government.
How did you become interested in your field of study?
At four years old, I found one of my mom’s old Lesson Plan books, lined up my stuffed animals, and started teaching the ABC’s.
What is your philosophy in life?
Imagination is a beautiful tool that moves the heart and soul to greatness. People should imagine every day.
Where do you see yourself in the future?
I plan to teach in the classroomas long aspossible and hope to continue my education to obtaina master’s degree in Education in order to one day return to the Universityas a professor. I am also working on publishing a children’s story about bullying.
“Lisa Bahniuk brings persistence, maturity and courage to the circumstances, both in and out of class, in which she finds herself. She communicates well, and wants to go the “extra mile.” She will be a builder in any community where she works as a teacher.”