Blackness, Indigeneity, Colonialism, and Confederation: 21st Century Perspectives
May 11–13, 2017
Brandon University, Manitoba
Brandon is centrally located in southwestern Manitoba (Google Map) and is a convenient, attractive and affordable destination for travellers.
- By air: There is daily WestJet air service to the Brandon airport via Calgary. Travellers can also fly the airline of their choice into the Winnipeg International Airport, with an easy Trans-Canada Highway connection to Brandon (less than two hours). The conference has secured discounted fares through both WestJet and Air Canada. Learn more
- By road: Brandon sits along the Trans-Canada Highway, approximately 200 km west of Winnipeg and 360 km east of Regina. The city is also situated on Manitoba Highway 10, approximately 140 km north of the International Peace Garden and 100 km south of Riding Mountain National Park. There is regular bus service to Brandon from all directions through Greyhound. Learn more
- By rail: Brandon is approximately 40 km southeast of the Via Rail station at Rivers, MB. Via trains are scheduled several times per week, including convenient departures both east and west for the conference. Brandon is also approximately 170 km north of the Amtrak station at Rugby, ND, with regular rail service on the Amtrak Empire Builder line. Note: This route crosses an international border. There is no scheduled public transportation to Brandon from either Via or Amtrak stations, however you may be able to arrange private transportation. Brandon taxi services may be willing to pick you up in Rivers. Learn more
Transportation to and from Brandon by air:
Air Canada provides service from most airports to Winnipeg, Manitoba
BCSA Registrants flying Air Canada will receive a 10% discount on eligible fares if you us the AUUFFJ91 promotion code, access aircanada.com and enter your promotion code in the search panel.
Eligibility rules for discount:
- The booking is to be made to the following city: Winnipeg, YWG (MB)
- The travel period begins Thursday, May 4, 2017 and ends Saturday, May 20, 2017.
- Travel is valid Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
- No discount will apply to Tango bookings for travel within Canada or between Canada and the U.S. However, all bookings made using the promotion code will count toward the minimum 10 passenger requirement for Meetings and Conventions events.
Westjet provides service once a day from Calgary to Brandon, Manitoba — passengers can connect from Western Canada to Calgary to land in Brandon.
Westjet discount flight details on how to complete a booking with these discount codes, please visit westjet.com/convention-discount. Please use the Promo and Coupon code if booking with a Travel Agent. Coupon code EGP15AJ and Travel Agent code WPN23.
Flight times from Calgary to Brandon
- Depart Calgary 9:45 a.m. — Arrive Brandon 12:42 p.m.
- Depart Brandon 1:15 p.m. — Arrive Calgary 2:24 p.m.
Travel from Brandon Airport to Brandon:
pre book Brandon Air Shuttle email@example.com
Westjet provides service from other airports to Winnipeg
Transportation from Winnipeg to Brandon:
The BCSA 2017 Conference has made arrangements for two Charter Buses to transport registrants from Winnipeg to Brandon as well as from Brandon to Winnipeg.
Registrants can choose to travel both ways by bus or one way. The assembly point to meet the bus is Victoria Inn, Winnipeg so once you have retrieved your luggage at the Winnipeg Airport call 204-786-4801 for shuttle pick to Victoria Inn, Winnipeg. Allow at least 45-60 minutes to pick up luggage and to the bus assembly point. The trip to Brandon will be 2 hours 30 minutes so when booking the bus for Sunday, May 14, keep in mind the allotted time for your air flight.
To Book Charter Bus – go to https://www.brandonu.ca/bcsa/home/registration/
all bookings to be made by Monday, May 1, 2017
Please indicate number of passengers
- 3:30 p.m. to Brandon May 11, 2017 $25.00 + $1.25 GST=$26.25
- 10:00 a.m. to Winnipeg May 14, 2017 $25.00 + $1.25 GST=$26.25
Alternative Transportation from Winnipeg to Brandon
Registrants who prefer an alternative to the charter bus are responsible for booking other transportation from Winnipeg to Brandon
- Brandon Air Shuttle: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greyhound Bus: www.busbud.com/en-ca/winnipeg-greyhound-bus-terminal/s/5028
Transportation to Brandon by road
Registrants who wish to drive to Brandon are suggested to make arrangements well in advance for accommodations along the way, if needed. Brandon is well-signed as a destination. Brandon University is centrally located on 18th Street at Victoria Avenue in the city, and is easy to find.
Greyhound provides regular bus service to Brandon from many destinations across the country. Tickets can be booked online at greyhound.ca. Please check carefully the duration of your trip.
Transportation to Brandon by rail
Registrants considering travelling to Brandon by Via or Amtrak are urged to secure private transportation from the train station to Brandon before booking their train travel.
Amtrak has daily scheduled service on the Empire Builder line, stopping at Rugby Station, approximately 170 km from Brandon, in the United States. Book online at amtrak.com. Registrants considering Amtrak are reminded that there is no public transportation from Rugby to Brandon, that renting a car in Rugby may not be possible, and that they will be required to cross the Canada/U.S. border at the International Peace Garden.
Via Rail has scheduled service through The Canadian main line, stopping at Rivers Station, approximately 40 km from Brandon. Taxi service should be secured in advance. Book online at viarail.ca. Current schedules call for a train:
- From the west: Arriving at 3:15 p.m. on Thursday, May 11 and departing at 5:15 p.m. on Sunday, May 14.
- From the east: Arriving at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, May 11 and departing at 3:15 p.m. on Monday, May 15.