Summer Student Research Assistant
Expires: February 13th, 2020
Applications open until February 12th, 2020
Manitoba Beef & Forage Initiatives is hiring summer students for our research and demonstration farm located near Brandon, MB. Student Research Assistants have the opportunity to participate is all aspects of MBFI’s operations.
Summer students will be expected to work independently and as part of team. Each summer student will work with a mentor full-time MBFI staff person. The primary duties will be linked to assisting where needed in the daily management of research trials, field demonstrations, and farm activities, including but limited to:
- Collecting samples including, e.g. forage, soil, manure samples;
- Field surveys, e.g. plant stand counts;
- Operating large and small farm equipment;
- Low stress cattle handling;
- Maintaining farm facilities, e.g. electric fencing, watering systems, landscaping;
- Data entry and record keeping of trial activities and livestock performance;
- Ability to complete physically demanding tasks outdoors;
- Capacity to lift and move 50 lbs bags;
- General farm labour, e.g. using power tools, towing trailers.
Terms of Employment:
Summer students will be employed by MBFI on a full-time basis starting at the end of the school year (late April – early May) and ending work with the beginning of school in September of 2020. Part time work may also be available on a case by case basis.
Hours of work:
The standard workday is from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday, typically 40 hours per week. Overtime through evening and weekend field and livestock checks will be required on a rotating schedule and during busy periods.
This position requires a valid Class 5 license and the ability to travel to and from the MBFI sites located within 12 miles of Brandon, MB. A Class 3 license is an asset. Being a full-time student at the time of application who will be returning to a full-time program in September 2020 is not required but is considered an asset.
Please send resumes to:
Inquiries can be made at MBFI’s information line: 204-761-3300