The online music theory rudiments course is designed for incoming BU music students to prepare them for first-year university studies in music theory and analysis. The course will cover the basic fundamentals of music theory rudiments including notation, accidentals, scales, meter, intervals, triads, cadences, transposing, and select score study. It is also augmented with preparatory material appropriate for university studies.
How it works
There are several steps to follow as you work through the course.
- First you watch the instructive video(s) for each module, taking notes and reviewing the videos as many times as you need.
- Then you complete workbook assignments based on the module topic and email the completed work to the instructor as a PDF one module or one lesson at a time. Your work will be corrected and returned for review.
- Once you’ve reviewed your work and the instructor’s comments, an in-person or virtual lesson will be scheduled to go over the material and clear up any questions or problems for that module.
- After each module you will also have to demonstrate sufficient retention and reiteration of the lesson content through a timed quiz.
- Online materials will be available through BU’s Moodle site and you will have to purchase a Rudiments workbook, either Mark Sarnecki’s The Complete Elementary Music Rudiments or Glory St. Germain’s Complete Rudiments Ultimate Music Theory.
You have the flexibility to work through the material at your own pace spending as much or as little time on a topic as you need!
NOTE: a minimum of 3 weeks is recommended to complete the course, more if students are engaged with other activities at the same time.
Options for Enrolment and Fees
This course is offered via registration and payment to the Eckhardt-Gramatté Conservatory of Music. When you are ready to register call the Music Office at (204) 727-9631 with your payment information and which level you’d like to enrol in. There are three options to choose from, based on how much lesson time you need and how much information you need to cover.
- Level 1: the full course with 7 hours of instructor contact time (1 hour per module), for $500 with half price registration fee of $35
- Level 2: the full course with 3.5 hours of instructor contact time (30 minutes per module), for $275 with $25 registration fee
- Level 3: only the individual module(s) that you need and 30 minutes of instructor contact time for each module, for $75/module with $10 registration fee/module
*The course fee and registration fee must be paid in full upfront before gaining access to the videos and course content.
For further information please contact Gretta Sayers: firstname.lastname@example.org