Long Night Against Procrastination
November 23 & 24 2022
What is it?
Starting Wednesday, November 23rd, at 7:00pm and running until Thursday, November 24th, at 2:00am, the Long Night Against Procrastination is a free, extended-hours event providing a safe place for students to study/write during a critical point in the semester. The event takes place in the Brandon University Library (Main), the Indigenous Peoples’ Centre (IPC), and the George T. Richardson Centre foyer (area just outside the library and IPC doors). The main floor of the library will be a hum of activity, while the second floor will be reduced-noise zones (note: sound from the main floor does travel up the stairwell).
Reference librarians and assistants, writing coaches, math skills coaches, computer help and circulation service will be available throughout the event to work with you to help you make progress with your papers and assignments.
Stay for the entire event or come for just a few hours. We do recommend that you plan your ride home in advance (last bus pick-up is at 11:30pm). There is also a Safe Walk Program, sponsored by the President’s Office.
Schedule of Events
Wednesday, November 23rd
7:00pm – Get your study on!!!
- Research Help (Reference Desk)
- Circulation (Main)
- IT Help (Help Desk)
- IPC open for studying (accessible with student card)
- Writing and Math Help (Curriculum Materials area)
- Free Beverages (sponsored by Pepsi Beverages Company and Vice President Admin and Finance)
- Free Snacks (sponsored by the Office of the Vice President Academic & Provost, Food Services, Student Services and the Library)
- Book Sale
- Door Prizes
- Stress Reduction Table (George T. Richardson Centre – just outside the library doors)
- Rock Painting
- Colouring Pages
- Library Reference Scavenger Hunt (Reference desk)
- Short Films (Gathering Space)
- Safe Walk (sponsored by the President’s Office)
- 7pm – 8:30pm & 11pm – 12:30pm – Therapy Dogs (George T. Richardson Centre – just outside the library doors)
- 7pm – 1am – Math Skills (Curriculum Materials area)
- 7pm – 2am – Writing Skills (Curriculum Materials area)
- Beading with Beading Babes (Map Library area)
- WMRL Library Card Sign up Blitz (Circulation desk)
- 10:00pm – Pizza (Circulation desk) – sponsored by BU Alumni Association Westman Chapter
- Midnight – Cookies ‘N Cram (donated by BU faculty and staff)
- 2:00am – Library closes for a few hours and opens again at 8:30am
Call or Email:
- Becky Lane – BU Library & IT Services, 204-727-9767; email@example.com
- Leanne Barcellona – BU Student Services, 204-727-9649; firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandon University’s Long Night Against Procrastination is organized by Library and IT Services, in partnership with Student Services and BUSU – and with support from HLC, IPC, the President’s Office, the Vice President Academic, the Vice President Admin and Finance, and the Alumni Association.
Where did this idea come from?
The Long Night Against Procrastination originated at the European University Viadrina in Germany in 2010. Since then, it’s become a worldwide movement, with the University of Manitoba** offering the first LNAP in Canada in 2011.
**BU thanks the University of Manitoba’s Academic Learning Centre for inspiration and permission to use “Long Night” information.