Long Night Against Procrastination
What is it?
Starting Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 at 7:00pm and running until Thursday, November 21st, 2019 at 3:00am, the Long Night Against Procrastination is a free, extended-hours event providing a safe place for students to study/write during a critical point in the semester. The event takes place in the Brandon University Library (Main & Music) the Indigenous Peoples’ Center (IPC) and Harvest Hall. The main floor of the library will be a hum of activity, while the second floor and music will be reduced-noise zones. Looking for more study space? Individuals and study groups are encouraged to use Harvest Hall as their hub for discussions and study. There are plenty of power outlets in Harvest Hall, so bring your electronic devices and get your study on!
Reference librarians and assistants, writing coaches, learning skills, computer help and circulation service will be available throughout the event to work with you to help you make progress with your papers and assignments.
Stay for the entire event, or come for just a few hours. We do recommend that you plan your ride home in advance. There is also a Safe Walk Program, sponsored by the President’s Office or check out the BSAFE app.
Schedule of Events
Wednesday, November 20
7:00pm – Get your study on!!!
7:00pm to 9:00pm
- Math Skills Help (Curriculum Area)
- Learning Skills Help (Curriculum Area)
7:00pm to 2:00am
- Writing Skills Help (Curriculum Area)
- Research Help (Reference Desk)
- Circulation (Main & Music)
- IT Help (Help Desk)
- IPC open for studying
- Free Beverages (sponsored by Pepsi Beverages Company, Food Services and the Library)
- Free Snacks (sponsored by the Office of the Vice President Academic & Provost, Food Services and the Library)
- Book Sale
- Door Prizes
- Safe Walk (sponsored by the President’s Office)
- 7:00pm to 9:00pm – Activities to be annonunced
- 12:00am – FREE PIZZA (sponsored by BU Alumni Association)
- 1:00am – Cookies ‘N Cram (donated by BU faculty and staff)
- 3:00am – Library closes for a few hours and opens again at 8:00am
- 9:00am – 11:00am or until the batter is gone – Wake up BU! Free Breakfast (sponsored by BUSU)
Call or Email:
- Tanya Cantlon at the BU Library, 204-727-9747; email@example.com
- Joan Garbutt at BU’s Student Services, 204-727-7353; firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandon University’s Long Night Against Procrastination is organized by The John E. Robbins Library, Student Services, IT Services, BUSU, Food Services and the BU Alumni Association.
Where did this idea come from?
The Long Night Against Procrastination originated at the European University Viadrina in Germany in 2010. Since then, it’s become a worldwide movement, with the University of Manitoba** offering the first LNAP in Canada in 2011.
**BU thanks the University of Manitoba’s Academic Learning Centre for inspiration and permission to use “Long Night” information.