Long Night Against Procrastination
Nov 22 & 23 2023
What is it?
Starting Wednesday, November 22nd, at 7:00pm and running until Thursday, Nov 23rd, at 2:00am, the Long Night Against Procrastination is a free, extended-hours event providing a safe place for students to study/write during a critical point in the semester. The event takes place in the Brandon University Library (Main), and the Indigenous Peoples’ Centre (IPC). The main floor of the library will be a hum of activity, while the second floor will be reduced-noise zones (note: sound from the main floor does travel up the stairwell).
Reference librarians and assistants, writing coaches, learning skills coaches, math skills coaches, computer help and circulation service will be available throughout the event to work with you to help you make progress with your papers and assignments.
Stay for the entire event or come for just a few hours. We do recommend that you plan your ride home in advance (last bus pick-up is at 11:30pm). There is also a Safe Walk Program, provided by Brandon Bear Clan, to safely walk you to the bus stop, your residence building or vehicle parked at BU.
Schedule of Events
Wednesday, November 22nd
5:15pm – 6:15pm – Music Library Pre-LNAP Concert Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. Performed by Fabio Luisi with the Danish National Symphony Orchestra, and featuring soloists Henriette Bonde-Hansen, Matthias Rexroth, and Markus Marquardt.
7:00pm – Get your study on!!!
- Research Help (Reference Desk)
- Circulation (Main)
- Music Library – CLOSED at 7pm
- IT Help (Help Desk)
- IPC open for studying (accessible with student card)
- Group Study Rooms – bookable
- SAD lamps available throughout the main floor of the library
- Free Beverages (sponsored by Pepsi Beverages Company and Vice President Admin & Finance and Bailey’s)
- Free Snacks (sponsored by the Office of the Vice President Academic & Provost, Student Services and the Library)
- Book Sale (by Library main doors)
- ***Door Prizes*** – scan the QR code while in the Library during the event to enter your name for the prize draws
- Library Reference Scavenger Hunt (Reference desk)
- Photo Booth
- Stress Buster Rock Painting
- Take a break in the Fusion Credit Union Energy Pod (Main floor – beside south-east emergency exit)
- 6:00pm – 11:00pm – Learning Skills Coach (Curriculum Materials area)
- 7:00pm – 12:00am – Writing Skills (Curriculum Materials area)
- 7:30pm – 10:00pm – Math Skills Tutor
- 7:00pm – 8:00pm (or until supplies run out) – Friendship Bracelet Making (Main Floor)
- 7:00pm – 11:00pm – Human A&P Tutorial sessions (2nd Floor Room 208)
- 10:00pm – 11:00pm – Beading with Beading Babes (Map Library area)
- 10:00pm – Pizza (Circulation desk) – sponsored by BU Alumni Association Westman Chapter
- 10:00pm – 12:00am – Therapy Dog – from Funds for Furry Friends (Gathering Space)
- 10:00pm – 2:00am – Safe Walk provided by Brandon Bear Clan
- Midnight – Cookies ‘N Cram (donated by BU faculty, staff and Bailey’s)
- 2:00am – Library closes for a few hours and opens again at 8:30am
Prizes Donated by:
- Healthy Living Centre
- Campus Manitoba
- Faculty of Health Studies
- Student Services
Call or Email:
- Becky Lane – BU Library & IT Services, 204-727-9767; email@example.com
- Leanne Barcellona – BU Student Services, 204-727-9649; firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandon University’s Long Night Against Procrastination is organized by Library and IT Services, in partnership with Student Services and BUSU – and with support from HLC, IPC, the President’s Office, the Vice President Academic, the Vice President Admin & Finance, and the Alumni Association.
Where did this idea come from?
The Long Night Against Procrastination originated at the European University Viadrina in Germany in 2010. Since then, it’s become a worldwide movement, with the University of Manitoba** offering the first LNAP in Canada in 2011.
**BU thanks the University of Manitoba’s Academic Learning Centre for inspiration and permission to use “Long Night” information.