How to Prepare for Remote Counselling Sessions
Brandon University personal counsellors are here to support you .
Counselling appointments are being offered virtually and for some people that requires some adjustment. Here are some tips to support you in having a positive experience.
Location, location, location
- Find a quiet and private space. If you live with other people you might place a towel or blanket under the door to muffle any sounds. If need be, perhaps sit in your parked car or in a private space outside.
- Let people in your household know you are in an important meeting and ask them to not disturb you.
- Try to be in the same space for each appointment. This makes it easier to settle into your appointment.
- Get comfy and stay hydrated: find a comfortable chair to sit on and have a glass of water handy during your session.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi connection or cell service is reliable.
- Keep your device charged.
- Close any web browser tabs/applications that may cause a distraction.
Before and after your session
- Before your session, think about your goals for the session.
- Block a period of time before and after your session in your schedule so that you do not feel rushed
- Take a moment to reflect after your session.
- Move around after that reflective period. Step outside, feel the sun on your face, breathe deeply, and stretch gently. Take a walk if you have the energy to do so.
- Bring a notepad in case you wish to make notes during your session.
- Bring or have access to your schedule so you can book additional sessions.