Emergency Blue Phones
Brandon University has four Emergency Blue Phones on campus. The phones are located outside on the following buildings:
- On the north side of the Knowles-Douglas Student’s Union Building
- On the north side of the A.E. McKenzie Building
- On the west side of the George T. Richardson Building
- On the south side of the Brandon University Gymnasium
The phones can be used by anyone who feels they are in danger, or if they believe someone else is in danger.
- Student Services Counsellors: 204-727-9737
- Security: 204-727-9700
- Emergency 911
- Brandon Regional Health Centre – Emergency Room – 150 McTavish Ave. East
- Brandon Police Service – General 204-729-2345
- Mobile Crisis Unit 24 hour help line: 204-725-4411
- Westman Women’s Shelter (24 hour crisis line): 204-727-3644
If you have experienced or are experiencing harassment, unwanted attention, unsafe and potentially violent or violent situations/threats – TELL SOMEONE. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FIGURE THIS OUT ALONE.
Sources: Counselling Department, Brandon University
- Don’t walk or jog alone at night.
- Walk confidently, making eye contact with oncoming pedestrians.
- Stay in well-lit areas. Stay near people. Plan your route to avoid vacant lots, alleys, parks, bushes or unlit areas.
- Have your key ready before approaching your car or door.
- Carry only necessary credit cards and money.
- Never resist armed robbery: personal safety is more important than property. Carry some small bills separate from the rest of your money and credit cards to appease muggers who may resort to violence at finding no reward for their efforts. If the thief presses the attack, give up your wallet.
- Don’t stop to provide strangers with directions or information, especially at night.
- Don’t play music on your personal stereo so that you can’t hear what is going one around you.
- Don’t openly wear expensive jewelry that muggers may want.
- If attacked, make lots of noise. Perhaps use a loud whistle or personal protection alarm.
- If someone in a car is following you, go in the opposite direction or to a safe place.
- Never pursue a thief. Call for help and contact the Brandon City Police (call 911).
- If you suspect that you are being followed: Keep looking behind you so the person knows you cannot be surprised; cross the street or change direction; go to a well-lit area, enter a building; knock on the door of a house with lights on (especially if it displays a “Block Parent” sign); in other words, go anywhere there are people and phones; at the first opportunity, request help (from just about anyone); notice and remember as much as possible about the person following you (especially clothes, facial features, height, build, hair colour); report the incident to the Brandon Police Service (in emergency 911: non-emergency: 729-2345)
If you wish to discuss any concerns around your personal safety, call 727-9737 for an appointment with our Student Services counsellors.
For further information on personal safety, contact the Community Services Section of Brandon Police Services at 729-2317.
YWCA Westman Women’s Shelter (24 hour Crisis Line): 727-3644