Brandon University 50th Anniversary Student Travel Fund
The Brandon University 50th Anniversary Student Travel Fund was established when anonymous donors made a significant donation to the University, citing on the reply card “Happy Birthday BU”. This donation provides for an annual fund to be used in support of student travel for conferences or other reasons. These Terms of Reference outlines the procedures for application and adjudication.
Competition Deadlines and Funds Available:
There shall be two competitions in an academic year. The deadlines to apply for each competition shall be: November 1st and March 1st.
A minimum of $3,000 will be made available; half will be made available for each competition within the academic year. The funding sources shall include the BU 50th Anniversary Student Travel Fund ($1,500 minimum) and the Provost & Vice-President (Academic) ($1,500 maximum).
The Adjudication Committee reserves the right to award funds to a single application, in one competition, to a maximum of $1,500.
Eligible Applicants: Full-time undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing are eligible to apply. Applicants that were denied in one competition due to limited funding available, may re-apply to the next competition.
Eligible Activities: This fund covers expenses for off-campus opportunities such as (not an exhaustive list):
Activities such as lessons, an event that has a credit value or can be used towards fulfillment of a course, program or degree requirement, any type of training, or training related to a position of employment will not be considered.
Priorities for Adjudication:
Due to limited funding, the Committee will adjudicate applications using the following priorities and criteria:
- The applicant is a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in good academic standing.
- The reason for travel has significant importance to and potentially great impact on the student’s academic career achievements and success.
- The student is a presenter or leader.
- The student is invited to participate in the activities listed.
- The student must travel at minimum 100 kms from Brandon University for the activities listed. Distance (i.e. provincial, international) and/or type of travel (i.e. driving, flying) shall be a consideration with preference given to higher costs to be incurred.
- The Student has not received money from this fund within the current and/or previous academic year. Note: Students who have received money from this fund in the current and/or previous academic year may still apply; however, their application will be given a lower priority at the time of adjudication.
- Applications must be for travel that has already occurred or upcoming events/activities already confirmed.
- Applicants must complete the “BU 50th Anniversary Student Travel Fund Application Form”. If a student is applying on behalf of a group, the name of the group and a complete list of students’ names and student numbers of those travelling as part of the group must be provided. Included with the application form, applicants must attach:
- Documentation about the event (e.g. invitation to the event; itinerary for the event; etc.).
- A copy of the student’s official conference/event registration or registration confirmation.
- Quote from hotel for accommodation costs (if applicable), and quote from travel website for flight costs (if applicable).
- Written documentation from other funding sources, if the applicant has received funding from another source.
- A letter of reference from a faculty member familiar with the applicant or group, and area of study. This must be on Brandon University letterhead, signed by the professor.
- Reimbursement shall be for eligible expenses only as outlined in the Brandon University Business and Travel Expense Administrative Policy, and must be supported by original receipts (credit card and/or debit card transaction receipts are accepted).
- Expenses and accompanying official receipts must add up to the amount awarded, or more. If the sum of the receipts is less than the amount granted, the award recipient will be reimbursed for the actual total, not the amount granted.
- Official receipts with an itemized covering page must be submitted to the Office of the Provost & Vice-President (Academic) within three weeks of the award recipient’s return date or funding will be revoked. Please note: This timeline may be reduced if the travel dates coincide with the University’s fiscal year end.
The Adjudication Committee shall be comprised of:
- Provost & Vice-President (Academic)
- Associate Vice-President (Research)
- Dean of Students