Academic Plan & Review
The Office of the Vice-President (Academic & Provost), under the mandate of the Brandon University Senate, was tasked with the development of a new Academic Strategic Plan. In 2013, the Vice-President (Academic & Provost) led this initiative with the creation of the Academic Planning Framework. This document, approved by Senate in December 2013, was used as a reference tool to guide the process of creating a new strategic plan. Also in December 2013, the Senate approved the Terms of Reference for the Integrated Strategic Planning Steering Committee. This Ad Hoc Committee was charged with conducting the University Academic Planning process, including drafting the Academic Plan every three or five years.
The Brandon University Academic Plan, approved by Senate in October 2014, represents the strategic plan for the University’s academic program and academic service units aimed at guiding the development of academic programs, research, community engagement and partnerships to meet student and societal needs as well as to progress the mission and vision of the University. The Academic Plan is therefore crucial for creating a focus point to guide the University’s drive to build organization effectiveness and partnership success.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Academic Planning process or for a print-copy of the Academic Plan, please contact Shannon Downey, Administrative Officer to the Vice-President (Academic & Provost), at (204) 727-9712 or email@example.com.
The Academic Planning Framework identifies academic governance and operations, and outlines the mandate, actions, and expected outcomes of the academic planning process. This document will be used as a resource guide for the process by capturing the planning sequence and cycle.
Guided by the Brandon University Vision/Mission Statement and Senate Approved Academic Planning Framework, the Integrated Strategic Planning Steering Committee was established by the Brandon University Senate as an Ad Hoc Committee to conduct the Brandon University Academic Planning process. The Committee is comprised of no more than 23 members with representatives drawn as follows:
- Five members nominated by Faculty Councils to represent each of the Faculty of Arts, Education, Health Studies, and Science as well as the School of Music. Here and in what follows, nominees will be normally elected;
- Three students nominated from amongst undergraduate and graduate programs with at least one being nominated by the Brandon University Students’ Union and, ideally, with a graduate student also represented;
- Two members nominated by the Senate, including one member being the Board’s representative to the Senate;
- Three members with two members being nominated from amongst the Faculty Deans and one member being the Associate Vice-President (Student Services and Enrolment Management) and University Registrar;
- Up to four members in total being nominated by the Curriculum and Academic Planning Committee of Senate; Senate Graduate Studies Committee; Research Committee of Senate and the International Activities Committee;
- One member nominated from amongst the Senate Sub-committees of The Library Committee, Scholarship Medals & Awards Committee and Athletic Awards Committee;
- Two non-voting members named from the University Alumni and City of Brandon community;
- Up to two additional non-voting members or experts named as needed in support of the Committee’s work nominated by the Chair and/or President; and
- The Steering Committee is Chaired by the Vice-President (Academic & Provost).
The Brandon University: Innovation, Leadership, Development 2010 (BUILD 2010) is a consolidated guide for Brandon University’s continued success and growth in the future. This institutional strategic plan sets the course for cultivating student success; research, community engagement and external relations; and infrastructure and support. The BUILD 2010-2015 Update: A Midterm Report on the University’s Strategic Plan, acknowledges the work accomplished and the reflects on what lies ahead.