About Writing Skills
The Writing Skills is part of the Academic Skills Centre in Student Services. We assist students at any stage of the writing process. We are located in Room 102 of the A. E. McKenzie Building.
What We Do
Writing Skills staff members assist students as they develop their writing skills. Topics that may be covered during seminars and appointments include:
- topic clarification,
- essay organization,
- outlines; thesis formation, sentence and paragraph structure,
- referencing and avoiding plagiarism.
What We Don’t Do
The service is a learning program, so Writing Skills staff members will not:
- Edit students’ papers for them.
- Students cannot drop off a paper and pick it up later “fixed.”
- Students are responsible for the content of their papers, including revisions to papers that are suggested during appointments.