Frequently Asked Questions
On This Page
Teachable subject areas refer to the areas in which a student is interested in teaching. The Province of Manitoba requires that teachers have at least 2 teachable subject areas within their Bachelor of Education degree. Your teachable subjects do not necessarily have to be your major or minor, as long as you have enough credit hours to satisfy the requirements of your stream.
No, not all courses in an undergraduate degree are acceptable teachable subject areas. At Brandon University, the Faculty of Education accepts the following teachable subject areas:
Currently Accepted Teachable Subject Areas:
- Computer Science
- General Science
- At the Early/Middle Years level, General Science is only accepted as a First Teachable (18 credit hours). It must include 3 separate science disciplines. There must be a minimum of 3 credit hours of course work at the 200 level or above.
- At the Senior Years level, a General Science First Teachable must meet the teachable area 30 credit hour requirement. It must include 2 separate science disciplines. There must be a minimum of 3 credit hours of course work at the 300 level or above.
- At the Senior Years level, a General Science Second Teachable must meet the teachable area 18 credit hour requirement. It must include 2 separate science disciplines. There must be a minimum of 6 credit hours of course work at the 200 level or above.
- Human Ecology (EY or MY Only)
- Indigenous Languages
- Music – Additional pre-requisites dependent upon stream listed under other course requirements below.
- Native Studies
- Physical Education (Recreation courses do not count towards a Phys. Ed. teachable)
- Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- 2nd Teachable Subjects Only: Anthropology, Earth Science, Environmental Studies, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology.
- 2nd Teachable Subjects Only for SY or MY Only: Economics, Law, Political Science.
For Early and Middle Years, you must have 18 credit hours (6 courses) in your first teachable subject area and 12 credit hours (4 courses) in your second teachable subject area. No D grades are accepted towards teachable subjects.
For Senior Years, you must have 30 credit hours (10 courses) in your first teachable subject area and 18 credit hours (6 courses) in your second teachable subject area. No D grades are accepted towards teachable subjects.
If you intend to teach Early or Middle Years, the Province of Manitoba requires that you have core courses in order to make you a well-rounded teacher. These core requirement courses would be normally taken within your undergraduate degree and include:
- 6 credit hours of English Literature (or French Literature – not a combination of the two)
- 6 credit hours of Math (including 62.152 Contemporary Math for BU Students)
- 6 credit hours of Science (Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Astronomy)
- 6 credit hours of History and/or Geography (one subject area only, or a combination of the two.
- Native Studies I & II are also acceptable for the History/Geography requirement.
If you are applying to the After Degree Program with a Music Teachable, there are additional pre-requisites dependent upon stream:
- SY Instrumental Stream: 66.474 Beginner Instrumental Techniques, 66.378/379 Elementary Conducting, 66.478 Advanced Conducting & Score Study and 66.475 Advanced Instrumental Techniques
- SY Choral Stream: 66.378/379 Elementary Conducting
- Elementary (K-8) Stream: No further pre-requisites
- Deadline for applications is January 15 of each year – apply online at https://www.brandonu.ca/education/programs/
- Criminal Record Checks and Child Abuse Checks are required AFTER you have received your acceptance letter.
- In years past, appeals have been considered. However, due to the competitiveness of the program, the Dean is unable to review or accept appeals.
- The decision of the Admissions Committee is final.
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 is required.
- Late applications may be accepted if there are spaces available. Contact email@example.com or 204-727-9626 to inquire.