Application Help Guide
The following information will assist you in completing the application form.
The application fee for the Master of Psychiatric Nursing program is $100. Please make the cheque out to Brandon University and submit the cheque with the MPN application.
Application for admission to the Master of Psychiatric Nursing program also requires admission to Brandon University. If you have not previously attended Brandon University, you will need to complete a separate form and pay a separate fee for admission to Brandon University. Information about admission to Brandon University can be obtained online.
Questions about admission to Brandon University can be directed to:
Room 104, A.E. McKenzie Building
270 – 18th Street
A relevant undergraduate degree is required for admission. The undergraduate degree must include a research methods course and a statistics course. If the statistics course and research methods courses are not clearly identifiable on your transcript, please include a course description with this application. If you have questions about the suitability of the courses, please contact the Coordinator of the MPN program to discuss further.
Submission of transcripts differs for students who have, and have not attended Brandon University.
Applicants who have not been admitted to Brandon University
If you are applying for admission to Brandon University, transcripts will be submitted with your application to Brandon University.
Applicants who have previously attended Brandon University
You will not need to submit a transcript from Brandon University. However, official transcripts for subsequent courses / programs taken at other institutions must be submitted with this application.
The Curriculum Vitae / Resumé should include:
- Educational background (listed on application form)
- Continuing education (e.g. courses / certificates)
- Employment experience, indicating level of responsibility
- Community service, including involvement in professional associations
- Awards and honours
- Research projects and publications
- Innovation in clinical practice
- Any other supporting information
A strong foundation in psychiatric nursing is required for admission. Applicants can demonstrate this foundation in a variety of ways. Please submit one of the following pieces of relevant supporting evidence with your application.
- Licensure as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse in Canada
- Confirmation of current registration is sufficient evidence.
- CNA certification as a psychiatric mental health nurse (CPMHN)
- Please request a ‘university letter’ from CNA. Please use the form titled ‘Notification of Certification for University Credit’ available online from nurseone.ca.
- Completion of a post-basic psychiatric nursing program
- Official transcripts already provided with the application are sufficient.
If you do not meet requirements in any of the above categories, you must demonstrate expertise equivalent to a person who has obtained certification or completed a post-basic program. This is usually demonstrated by the nature and duration of psychiatric nursing practice.
Please submit a brief essay (500-750 words) outlining your rationale for choosing the MPN program and a particular stream, as well as areas of interest for thesis consideration.
Two letters of reference, one from an academic reference is preferred, are required. The recommendation must be on the Departmental form and an official letter on letterhead must be attached. The referee can email the letter to the Program Assistant, Hayley Bedford, at email@example.com or send it via mail.
Mail applications to:
Master of Psychiatric Nursing Program
c/o Coordinator General Office
Faculty of Health Studies
270 – 18th Street
Brandon, MB R7A 6A9