Inclusive Post-Secondary Education (IPSE)
Brandon University is committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive learning environment. Brandon University’s partnership with Inclusion Westman (formerly, Community Living Brandon or CLB) offers Inclusive Post-Secondary Education to provide students with intellectual disabilities a rich and inclusive life path.
Inclusive Post-Secondary Education supports students who have intellectual disabilities access an authentic student experience and to be fully included in coherent programs of study to achieve their career aspirations.
Students who have intellectual disabilities come to Brandon University for the same reasons as other students do:
- to continue their learning
- to make connections with their peers and develop lifelong relationships
- to develop new skills and enhance confidence in many areas of their lives
- to be a valued and contributing member of student life
- to make contacts in their desired field of study
- to develop career opportunities through building networks on campus and active participation in practicums and classes
- to ultimately secure meaningful and sustainable employment
Students attending Brandon University through Inclusive Post-Secondary Education (IPSE) audit courses in a program of study that aligns with their interests.
Inclusive Post-Secondary Education allows students to audit 1-2 courses per semester, which gives students schedule flexibility. It also allows students to set learning expectations and goals, complete adapted course assignments and exams, participate in practicums, and be part of the culture of student life.
Initiative staff work closely with students and professors to ensure that inclusion in the classroom and campus life is successful and a positive experience for everyone involved.
The initiative runs year-round. During the spring and summer months IPSE initiative staff support students in building resumes through meaningful volunteer and competitive paid employment opportunities.
For more information please contact:
Rm. 106, A. E. McKenzie Building