Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR)
Brandon University’s Prior Learning and Assessment Recognition (PLAR) program allows students who have gained university-level knowledge and skills through personal endeavor or work experience to apply for academic credit. The program also allows students to apply for academic credit for learning achieved through the completion of non-accredited credentials offered, for example, by professional associations, organizations or government agencies, including the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).
PLAR credit will be recognized if equivalency of knowledge and skills can be demonstrated. A range of assessment techniques may be used, including demonstrations, challenge exams, portfolio-assisted assessments, as well as an evaluation of a non-accredited credential. CAF personnel (Regular & Reserve) and CAF Veterans are encouraged to have their military training assessed for PLAR Credit.
Sample of BU Departments Participating in PLAR
- Applied Disaster and Emergency Studies
- Business Administration
- English and Creative Writing
- Fine Arts
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Native Studies
- Nursing & Psychiatric Nursing
- Physics and Astronomy
What is the PLAR process at Brandon University?
1. Consultation with the BU PLAR Coordinator
- Review the BU PLAR Policy and Process
- Determine the range of courses or programs to be challenged through PLAR and method(s) of assessment in consultation with BU departments
- Complete the PLAR Application Form and pay the PLAR Assessment Fee
2. Prior Learning Assessment Methods
|Portfolio||Exam, Demonstration, Interview||Non-Accredited Credential: Certificate, Diploma or Course|
3. Results of PLAR Assessment(s)
- PLAR Applicant is notified of assessment results
Results of PLAR Assessments
PLAR credit has been recognized in the Faculties of Arts, Science, Health Studies and the School of Music.
General Advice for Students/PLAR Applicants
- Individuals must be admitted to BU to be eligible for PLAR
- PLAR may not be available in all degree programs at Brandon University
- BU PLAR credits may not be transferable to other academic institutions