Welcome to Brandon University! Below is a list of pre-orientation tasks for you to complete to help you prepare for the first day of classes.
1. Join the conversation
2. Book your Trek: First-Year & Transfer Course Advising Appointment
Please read below to find your program of study. We encourage you to preview our Course Calendar prior to your meeting.
If you are a first-year student in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Arts/Education Integrated, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science, or Bachelor of Physical Education Studies:
For students beginning in January 2017, please call 204-727-9737 to book your advising appointment.
Until you have completed a mandatory TREK advising session you will not be able to register for your courses.
For Bachelor of Business Administration students: Please call the Arts Office at 204-727-9790.
For Pre-Bachelor of Nursing students:
- Please call Tracey at 204-571-8567 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
For Pre-Bachelor of Psychiatric Nursing students:
- Please call Cathy at 204-727-7403 or email email@example.com to set up an appointment.
For Bachelor of Music students:
- Please call Heather at 204-727-7388 to book an appointment.
Once you have met with your advisor, be sure to register for your courses.
3. Claim your B.U. ID
Claim.id will allow you to have access to the Student Information System where you can check your marks, view financial information, print off your course schedule (timetable) and view waiting lists as well as add/drop courses. This will also activate your BU email account. You will need your six-digit number which is in the middle of your acceptance letter. Lost it? No worries. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Are you coming from another accredited post-secondary institution?
Check to see if any of your credits transfer. If you cannot find a course in the Transfer Database it does not necessarily indicate transfer credit will not be awarded. A detailed course outline may be required to determine whether credit may be granted. Contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com for more information.
5. Apply for Residence (or look for off-campus housing)
Applications can be completed online. Have questions? Please call the Residence Office at 204-727-7394.
6. Apply for Scholarships and financial aid
- Financial Assistance – Visit Manitoba Student Aid and Brandon University Student Financial Planning Guide. Want to talk to a person? Call Karen at 204-727-9757.
- Scholarships and Bursaries – Be sure to check out the scholarships and bursaries available for first-year students. Or call Jen. She knows everything. 204-727-9737.
7. Register for Courses. Print out your timetable.
8. Check your BU email account
At the top of the BU homepage, there is the word WEBMAIL. Click on that to access your BU account. You will need to have claimed your i.d. (see above) before you can access this account. This is how BU will communicate with you. You can forward this email to another account (e.g. hotmail, gmail). Please check this email regularly.
9. Buy your textbooks. Get your student card.
Your student card can be obtained at the Ancillary Office in McMaster Hall.
10. Buy your campus parking pass and rent a locker
- Parking – Applications for parking passes can be found here. Or call 204-727-9761.
- Rent a locker – Lockers are found in Music (large lockers) and Science. Please visit Finance and Registration to inquire about these rentals.
11. Register for January Orientation
Watch your mail for information about our new student orientation. For more information click here.
12. Pay your tuition
Tuition is due on the first day of each semester. You can pay in person or online. It is recommended to pay at least a week prior to the start of classes. Questions? Call Financial and Registration Services at 204-727-9724.
13. Organize Daycare (if applicable)
BU Early Learning Centre, (a provincially subsidized day care) welcomes children between the ages of 2 and 6, of students and staff of Brandon University. It is located adjacent to campus at 303 21st Street. For more information call 204-725-0968
14. Get excited! Buy some BU swag!
We look forward to seeing you!