Welcome to Brandon University! Complete the tasks on this page to you start your course registration process and to help you prepare for the first day of classes.
2. Know your student number
You will need your six-digit BU student number many times throughout your journey as a student. You can find your student number on your offer of admission letter. Lost it? No worries. Email email@example.com.
3. Get logged in
To begin you will need to claim your BU Username and Password. Follow the directions on the IT Helpdesk website to claim your ID (username and password). Remember/record your username and password because you will use them to log into important student portals such as the Student Information System, BU Webmail, Moodle, and on-campus computers.
4. Check your BU Webmail account (email)
At the top of the BU homepage, there is the word WEBMAIL. Click on that to access your BU account. You will need to have claimed your id (see #3 above) before you can access this account.
You can forward this email to another account (e.g. hotmail, gmail).
Please check this email regularly! Your BU Webmail account is the primary way we contact you about changes to your classes, wait-lists, upcoming events, and so much more!
Starting school September 2019: Students can apply for Residence starting in January 2019. Applications are available online.
Have questions? Please call the Residence Office at 204-727-7394.
6. Apply for financial aid and scholarships
Financial Assistance – Visit Manitoba Student Aid and Brandon University Student Financial Planning Guide. Want to talk to a person? Call Jacquie at 204-727-9699.
Scholarships and Bursaries – Be sure to check out the scholarships and bursaries available for first-year students. Call the Scholarships and Awards office at 204-727-9737.
Sponsored Students – There are things that you need to know about being a sponsored student. As a student, you have the responsibility to ensure that you are sponsored and communication with you sponsor is vital. Learn more by clicking here.
7. Advising, Course Selection, & Course Registration
Academic Advising and Course Registration begins in May 2019. Watch your mail and BU email for more information March/April 2019.
Once you have selected and registered for your courses you should log into the Student Information System. Once logged in you can:
- view financial information – please see #17 for more information about making payments!
- print off your course schedule (timetable) – login on your phone and take a screen shot so you always have your schedule with you
Pre-Orientation is held annually in June for students starting in September. Please check back in spring for more information.
9. Connect with Student Accessibility Services (if applicable)
Students who require Academic Accommodations should connect with Student Accessibility Services in a timely manner to ensure supports can be put in place. Call 204-727-9737 to book an appointment.
10. Connect with Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (if applicable)
Students who have gained university-level knowledge and skills through life and work experience may be eligible to apply for academic credit. For more information please visit the PLAR website or call 204-727-7300.
11. Organize daycare (if applicable)
BU Early Learning Centre, (a provincially subsidized day care) welcomes children between the ages of 2 and 6, of students and staff of Brandon University. It is located adjacent to campus at 303 21st Street. For more information call 204-725-0968.
12. Connect with the Office of International Activities (if applicable)
Study Permit Requirements
- As an international student, if you will be studying in Canada for more than six months, you must have a valid Study Permit. Please apply for your Study Permit immediately.
- Before the course registration deadline of your first term, you must provide a copy of your valid study permit to the Office of International Activities.
- The staff in the Office of International Activities are not legally permitted to provide you with immigration advice including, but not limited to study and work permits, renewals, post graduate work permits or permanent residency applications. If you require assistance, the OIA has an approved list of ICCRC immigration consultants that we can refer you to. Please be advised their fees may vary.
- If arriving to Winnipeg International Airport please be advised of the Airport Shuttle Service.
- As you may be aware, effective September 1, 2018, Manitoba Health Insurance will no longer be available from the Province to international students enrolled at Brandon University. Brandon University is happy to announce it has secured enhanced coverage through guard.me International Insurance.
13. Register for Orientation!
Orientation will be on September 3rd, 2019. Check back in summer 2019 for more information!
Also, please watch your BU email for program specific Orientation information. Some programs of study host their own Orientation sessions.
14. Get your student card
Student cards will be available in the summer of 2019. Please check back for more information.
Questions? Please phone Ancillary Services at 204-727-7394.
15. Organize transportation
Parking: Parking passes for the 2019/2020 academic year will go on sale in the summer. Check the parking website for updates!
16. Buy your textbooks
BU Campus Books is located in the Knowles Douglas Building, next to Forbidden Flavors. The store provides a wide range of items to ensure that students are equipped with the requisite resources to be successful in their students. Our items include:
- Textbooks – You can obtain your required textbooks from the store via one or both of the following options:
- Direct Purchase (new or used)
In order to provide a hassle free service, sign into Student Information and take a screenshot or print out of your course information so we can find you the correct books. Additionally, if you find the book at a cheaper price on any Canadian online store (for example Amazon.ca), the store will match that price (other conditions apply). If you are unable to come in the store you can order online.
- School Supplies
- Technological Items
Residence – Housing payments are due in full at the beginning of each term (before you check in). Pay online, in person or by mail.
Verification of Enrollment – Your financial institution may require a verification of enrollment. Log in to Student Information and click on the Verification of Enrollment tab to download the form. Please contact Financial & Registration Services at (204) 727-9724, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
18. Get excited! Buy some BU swag!
Order your BU swag online!
19. Help your parents and family members support you!
We encourage you to involve your parents, family members, and support system in your university journey. Click here to share resources with your loved ones.
We look forward to seeing you soon!