Brandon University provides a secure wireless connection to all Students, Faculty, Staff, and Authorized Guests, as well as access to EduRoam.
The following SSIDs are available:
- BU_Connect – Is used to register your wireless device with the secure wireless network. You must connect here first to get your wireless device connected to the secure wireless network. When connected to BU_Connect use a web browser to go to https://buconnect.brandonu.ca and follow the prompts to configure your device. More detailed instructions are linked below.
- BU_Wireless – The secure wireless network that is accessible after your wireless device has been onboarded via BU Connect.
- EduRoam – Used for visitors on campus from other institutions that utilize EduRoam. When accessing EduRoam, you will be required to enter your credentials from your home institution. If you are having issues, please contact your home institution for assistance.
To access the secure wireless network you must use the BU_Connect system to onboard your wireless device. During the onboarding process, you will be prompted to accept the Terms & Conditions listed below.
Conditions and Terms of Agreement:
- When accessing a Brandon University Wireless connection, the user is agreeing to the terms and conditions of the Brandon University Computer Acceptable Use Policy.
- Brandon University Wireless Connections are for the use of Faculty, Staff, Registered Students, and Authorized Guests.
Students, Staff, and Faculty will have access to University resources as if they are connected to the network via a network cable.
Authorized Guests will have access to the Internet via an encrypted unthrottled wireless connection, keeping all their communications on the network safe and secure.
You can onboard your wireless device at any time from any where, even before you arrive on campus. Just go to https://buconnect.brandonu.ca and follow the prompts. Your device will be configured for access to the secure wireless network before arriving on campus, so when you do arrive, you will be automatically connected.
Below are device specific documentation that you can reference when onboarding your wireless device using the secure wireless network:
- Why do I need to use BU Connect to be able to access the wireless network?
- Using the BU Connect system allows you to access the wireless network in the most secure fashion. Once your device has been configured for the wireless network you are authenticated via a unique certificate that is specific to your user id, which allows you access to the network and also encrypts all your communications on the wireless network.
- How often do I need to register my device using BU Connect?
- The unique certificate for your user id is valid for a period of 1 year. Near the end of the 1 year period you will be notified to renew your certificate for another year using BU Connect.
- If I change my password will I need to renew my wireless access?
- No. Authentication is based on your certificate not based on your password.
- If I lose my device, can I stop it from accessing the wireless network?
- Yes. BU Connect allows you to see what devices you have registered and gives you the ability to remove any device that you do not want to access the wireless network.
- What is the recommended mobile browser to use when connecting my mobile device via BU Connect?
- iOS devices are recommended to use Safari.
- Android devices are recommended to use Chrome.
- I don’t want to run an application to connect to BU_Wireless.
- You don’t have to, but it is recommended since it does all the work for you. You can configure your connection manually. When you are presented with the software download by BU Connect, select “Show all operating systems” and then select “Other Operating Systems”. You will then be shown the steps to configure your wireless connection manually.