Here at BU we take IT Security very seriously. We take an enormous amount of measures to protect the BU Community from Cyber Attacks, but we can’t do it alone. Everyone has a hand in protecting themselves, their colleagues, and their family.
There are a few easy best practices to follow to protect yourself online and click the links to learn more about each topic.
- Use a Strong Password
- Never give any personal information away.
- Like passwords, social insurance numbers, credit card or banking info, etc.
- Keep your Data Secure.
- Stick to known secure websites. You can tell they are secure by looking at the URL and insuring it starts with HTTPS://.
- Ex: https://www.google.ca is secure.
- Update or patch your devices.
- Most updates contain security upgrades that will keep you protected.
- Run Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware software on your devices.
- Know how to spot Phishing, Vishing, SMShing, or Pharming attacks.
If you are a victim of Cyber Crime please contact your local police service or RCMP immediately. Here are links to assist you if you are a victim of Cyber Crime.
- Identity Theft Assistance
- Cyber Crime Assistance