How to contact a supervisor
Without a supervisor you are ineligible to apply to MELS. In order to obtain a supervisor please contact a Professor with similar research interests as yourself.
Provide them with the following information:
- Information about your educational background –
- what was your degree (BSc? BA? 3yr or 4yr?);
- what was your major? (biology? chemistry? environmental science? geography? geology? other?);
- what subjects did you study? (an unofficial transcript would answer this)
- What prior experience do you have in research? (e.g. undergraduate thesis, working as a research assistant, etc.)
- Review the list of project topics on Research Opportunities webpage as well as indicate a research project of interest to you;
- What prior experience do you have in the research topic you selected from the webpage, and indicate why this field of research is of interest to you?
- Are you prepared to undertake field work in remote locations in Canada? Such work may involve camping, and will certainly involve using hand tools.
- Do you have any prior experience working in a laboratory that is relevant to the research topic of interest to you?
You can find contact information for the faculty member you wish to contact here.