How to Apply
Prior to applying to the Master of Science (Environmental and Life Sciences) degree program:
- Verify that you meet all the admission requirements. The list of requirements can be found in the Graduate Course Calendar Section 9.2.
- Contact one of the faculty members in the core Departments (Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Geology, and ADES) or the Environmental Science program for information about available projects and supervisors. (Listed on our MELS Faculty Directory page here). A faculty member must be willing to supervise the prospective student prior to their applying to the program.
Please Note: A minimum GPA of 3.30 (out of 4.30) in the last 30 hours of study is normally required for Admissions to the MELS program.
Important notice for international students:
- A list of countries exempt from English Language proficiency requirements is listed here.
- You might be eligible for an English Language Waiver, see the information on the subject here (scroll down until you see the English Language Waiver section)
Once a supervisor has been found applicants must:
- Complete an Online University Application found here.
- Complete and submit by email or mail the MELS Information Form found here
- Submit by email or mail the following supporting documents:
- Statement of interest – including a mention of the agreement with a supervisor
- Two letters of reference
- University Transcripts (Signed and sealed directly from the institution to Admission Office)
- Letter of support from supervisor
See the MELS Information Form for more detail about supporting documentation.
Please submit completed application to:
Admissions Office Room 104 A. E. McKenzie Building 270 – 18th Street Brandon, Manitoba R7A 6A9
Or by email (with the exception of the official transcript) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application & Document Deadlines:
- January 31st is the deadline for full consideration. (Meaning acceptance as well as guaranteed consideration for a Graduate Teaching Assistantship)
- April 1st is the deadline for International applications & documents to be submitted.
- August 15th is the deadline for Domestic applications & documents.
Once your application has been received and vetted by the Admissions committee you will be notified of their decision and whether or not you have been accepted into the program. We thank you very much for your interest in the MELS program at Brandon University and if you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask.