Student Research Scholarships and Awards
The Research Office oversees a number of research-based scholarships and awards for undergraduate and graduate students. Please see the opportunities below for more information.
The objective of the CGS-M Program is to help develop research skills and assist in the training of highly qualified personnel by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of achievement in undergraduate and early graduate studies.
The Tri-Agency harmonized the Canada Graduate Scholarships program from each agency and redesigned the application and procedures into one common process. CGS-M applications must be submitted electronically via the Research Portal by the Tri-Agency CGS-M deadline.
The following three graduate scholarships fall under the CGS-M Program:
- Canada Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) – Frederick Banting and Charles Best Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) – Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) – Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships
CGS-M Deadline: December 1, before 8:00 p.m. (ET)
Undergraduate Student Research Awards are meant to stimulate students’ interests in research in the natural sciences and engineering. They are also meant to encourage graduate studies education and the pursuit of a research career in these fields. USRAs allow students to gain research work experience that complements their studies in an academic setting; these awards can provide financial support through Brandon University. NSERC encourages qualified Aboriginal students to apply for this award.
Internal Deadline: February 1 (Where the 1st falls on a weekend, the deadline will be the following business day.)
Other Tri-Agency Opportunities
- Other CIHR Graduate Opportunities
- Other NSERC Graduate Opportunities
- Other NSERC Undergraduate Opportunities
- Other SSHRC Graduate Opportunities
Brandon University Manitoba Graduate Scholarships (BU-MGS)
The BU-MGS is a research-based scholarship that helps Manitoba’s best students continue their studies at home and attracts excellent students to study in our province.
Internal Deadline: March 1 (Where the date falls on a weekend, the deadline will be the following business day.)
- BU-MGS Terms and Conditions
- BU-MGS Application
- BU-MGS Renewal Application
The NSTP provides supplementary funding for university students, in all disciplines, with an interest in northern studies.
Internal Deadline: November 1 (Where the 1st falls on a weekend, the deadline will be the following business day.)
- BU NSTP Policies and Procedures
- NSTP Information Manual
- NSTP Licences, Permits, and Other Requirements
- NSTP FAQs
- NSTP Online Forms