Letter of Permission

Brandon University students who wish to take a course(s) at another post-secondary institution for transfer of credit to their degree program must obtain a Letter of Permission from the Registrar’s Office before they make application to the other institution. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all requested courses are offered by the visiting institution during the session/dates in which they are to be completed. Established equivalencies can be found on the course transfer database. If the course(s) is not in the database, or requires re-evaluation, you may be asked to provide detailed outline/syllabus for the course(s).  Not all courses listed in the transfer database will necessarily be current offerings of that institution.

To obtain a Letter of Permission, a written request must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. A fee of $65.00 (subject to change) is charged for each request. The fee must be paid before a request will be processed. See below for payment options.

To request in person, by email or by mail, use the Letter of Permission request form below and submit to the Registrar’s Office with the fee. If emailing form, please submit in either PDF or JPG format as an attachment. It is required that the email be sent from your BU email account. Indicate in the email how you will be making payment.

Letter of Permission Request Form

Payment options:

If submitting request in person, payment may be made with cash, cheque, debit card or credit card (VISA, AMEX or MC).

If submitting request by email, the easiest option for payment is online with your financial institution to your BU account. If you haven’t done online payments before to Brandon University, set up Brandon University as a new bill payee and use your six digit student number as an account number. You then make the payment like any other bill payment.

You may also mail in a cheque/money order to the Registrar’s Office with the request form. Make cheque/money order payable to “Brandon University”.

A third option is through Plastiq, see our website for further information on this option at: https://www.brandonu.ca/pay/credit-card-payment-by-3rd-party-processing-service-plastiq/.

If you are unable to fill/print the form above, a request in letter form may be submitted by mail or email and must include the following: your name, student number, current mailing address, name and address of visiting institution, and course number(s) and title(s) of requested courses. Also indicate if courses will be taken by correspondence/online delivery or will be taken on-campus at the visiting institution. If on-campus, indicate session (e.g. fall/winter [regular] or spring/summer).

Note the following:

  • A request for a Letter of Permission and payment should be received at least one month prior to the deadline date for application at the visiting institution to allow for sufficient processing time. A copy of the Letter of Permission will be emailed to the student, and emailed or mailed to the visiting institution.
  • Letters of Permission may be granted to current students who have Regular student status. Students who are on Probation or of Mature status may have their request submitted to the appropriate Academic Dean or Coordinator for approval. Approval may also be obtained for students who have not established residency at Brandon University (successful completion of a minimum of 15 credit hours).
  • It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that courses requested on a Letter of Permission meet all requirements for their specific degree regulations. Issuance of a Letter of Permission does not waive any requirements for degree program. Prerequisites must be met or waiver signed for courses on a Letter of Permission. Approval will be granted on the understanding that the student has read and understood the relevant section of the Brandon University Undergraduate or Graduate Calendar. Students are advised to have their selection of courses reviewed by the appropriate faculty advisor.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to arrange to have an official transcript sent directly to the Registrar’s Office by the deadline indicated in the Letter of Permission. A faxed transcript or student mark statement is not acceptable. Withdrawal or confirmation of non-registration from all courses must be received in writing from the student or from the visiting institution.
  • Upon receipt of the official transcript or confirmation of non-registration/withdrawal, you will be notified by email that your updated academic record is available to review online. Only those courses on which a minimum grade of “C” is obtained will be recorded on your academic record with a “P” grade. These grades are not calculated in your cumulative or degree GPAs. Courses with a grade lower than a “C” will be removed from your academic record.

Graduate students may be eligible to take courses from other institutions through the Western Deans’ Agreement (WDA). Graduate students must follow regulations of Brandon University, including the request for a Letter of Permission. The WDA form must accompany a Letter of Permission request form, with top portion completed by student. For more information on the Western Deans’ Agreement, please visit their website at: http://wcdgs.ca/.