Spyware Removal from your Computer
Spyware and Adware
What are they?
Wikipedia, defines spyware as:
Computer software that is installed on a computer to intercept or take partial control over the user’s interaction with the computer, without the user’s informed consent.
Spyware programs can collect personal information, such as Internet surfing habit, sites that have been visited, and can also interfere with user control of the computer in other ways, such as installing additional software, redirecting Web browser activity, accessing websites blindly that will cause more harmful viruses, or diverting advertising revenue to a third party. Spyware can even change computer settings, resulting in slow connection speeds, different home pages, and loss of Internet or other programs.
Adware is similar except it is usually more specific to tracking. Such as keeping track of the types of pages you visit and giving you ads based on your preferences. Sometimes Ad-ware is also bundled in programs you install that are provided at a lower cost and make you agree to their use during installation. However Adware can also be spyware.
How to Remove Adware and Spyware from your Computer
*ATTEMPT TO CLOSE ALL OPEN PROGRAMS BEFORE RUNNING THESE UTILITIES*
Run a full scan with your Anti-Virus Program and follow the steps to remove anything detected
In addition to running a full scan from your Anti-Virus Program, there are a few good free programs that you can download and use on any non-commercial computer:
The guides and links for these programs are below.
1. How to use Adwcleaner:
- Download the latest version from this website:
- run the program
- select “scan” and let it finish scanning for malware
- select “clean” and it will remove anything it has found, and will reboot your computer before providing the report.
2. How to use Super Antispyware:
- First of all go to a computer that isn’t infected and you’ll need to have a usb stick handy in order to save the file.
- Search on google for superantispyware or click this link to download it – https://www.superantispyware.com/
- The select download location and then the download should start automatically. Save the file to the USB memory stick. Remove the memory stick once finished, and insert into the infected computer.
- To run superantispyware, you’ll need to open the USB drive under “computer” or “my computer” and select the appropriate file you saved earlier. It is usually called something starting with SAS, such as SAS815f. Or just superantispyware.exe
- Click “Start” when it opens, select complete scan and scan your C:
- When it is finished click next to remove all the infections and then reboot if necessary.
3. How to use Anti-Malware Bytes:
Step by Step guide (including installation):
If you need to install this program, then go to http://www.malwarebytes.org
- Click on the link to Download a free version.
- Find the download link and begin downloading the file. It’s name is Mbam-setup.exe (you may need to click the blue/yellow bar at the top of your browser to accept the download)
- Choose to Run this file.
- Install the program by selecting the Language, and the other default choices for installation.
- The last choice you are presented asks to update and run the program. After which the program should start up.
- Once you have Malwarebytes’ running. Click the tab labeled “update.”
- Click “check for updates” button.
This should update the program if it is needed.
- Next click on the “Scanner” tab
- Choose “perform full scan” and click “Scan”
- Select the drives you wish to scan. (C: usually)
- Click “Start Scan”
This process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 3 hours depending on your computer speed, drive size, and state of infection.
As the program scans it will list if it finds any infections in red text.
- Once the scan is complete click the button which appears called “Show Results”
- Click “remove selected ” to remove the infections.
- You may need to restart your computer.