Entrance to the School of Music is achieved through a successful Entrance Audition. The requirements for the Entrance Audition are:
- The completed Entrance Audition Form should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the audition.
- Auditions require the performance of three contrasting selections demonstrating the applicant’s musicality and technique.
- Applicants wanting instrument-specific requirements are encouraged to contact the appropriate instructor.
- The minimum performance standard is approximately Grade VIII Royal Conservatory or Conservatory Canada (Grade VII Conservatory Canada for Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion).
- During a live audition potential students’ aural skills may be assessed for advisory and learning purposes. This assessment may include matching pitches, singing major and/ or minor scales, identifying or singing intervals within an octave, clapping back short rhythms (after two playings), and singing back short diatonic melodies (after two playings).
- Sight reading may also be required.
- Upon request an accompanist will be provided for a $40 fee.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the School of Music will not be conducting live auditions during the 2021/2022 school year (for September 2022 start). Instead, applicants have the following options:
- Potential students who have access to stable, high speed internet may opt to perform a live audition through the use of live-streaming technology (e.g. zoom) for a selected member or members of the School of Music faculty. The faculty member(s) present for the audition will submit recommendations to the Dean of Music regarding musical admissibility and scholarship. Please email email@example.com to request a live audition.
- Potential students may submit a recording or link to a recording that will be distributed to a relevant School of Music faculty member who will provide a recommendation regarding musical admissibility and scholarship to the Dean of Music.
- Potential students may be connected with an applicable member of the School of Music faculty by distance for a lesson/advising session or sessions. Based upon this session/these sessions, the faculty member will submit a recommendation to the Dean of Music.
- Potential students, who are eligible to the University, may be offered admission through the Bachelor of Arts (Music) program, delaying a decision on musical admissibility until the student is able to effectively and securely participate in any of the above-listed processes.
- Although live auditions are preferable, recorded auditions are accepted in cases where travel to Brandon presents serious problems. Applicants should submit links to recent, high-quality video recordings to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In these cases, corroborative evidence of performance ability and of the authenticity of the recorded performances is required.**Recorded auditions should be received no later than May 1, 2022 to ensure scholarship, bursary, and award consideration.
For more information, please contact the Administrative Assistant to the School of Music.
Please follow this link for information on applying to our