Audition Requirements – B.Mus
Entrance to the School of Music is achieved through a successful Entrance Audition. The requirements for the Entrance Audition are:
- The completed Entrance Audition Form should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the audition.
- Auditions require the performance of three contrasting selections demonstrating the applicant’s musicality and technique.
- Applicants wanting instrument-specific requirements are encouraged to contact the appropriate instructor.
- The minimum performance standard is approximately Grade VIII Royal Conservatory or Conservatory Canada (Grade VII Conservatory Canada for Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion).
- During a live audition potential students’ aural skills may be assessed for advisory and learning purposes. This assessment may include matching pitches, singing major and/ or minor scales, identifying or singing intervals within an octave, clapping back short rhythms (after two playings), and singing back short diatonic melodies (after two playings).
- Sight reading may also be required.
- Upon request an accompanist will be provided for a $50 fee.
Although live auditions are preferable, recorded auditions are accepted in cases where travel to Brandon presents serious challenges or barriers. For applicants who submit recorded auditions, the audition/Interview will consist of a 2-part process:
- A video recorded audition
- A separate and secure virtual interview (e.g. Zoom or telephone) which may contain a short skills assessment.
Applicants should submit links (e.g. via Dropbox, We Transfer, or YouTube) to recent, high- quality unedited video recordings to email@example.com. In these cases, a signed letter from a current or recent teacher or mentor (not a relative or custodial guardian) is required, which should attest to the recording’s authenticity and accuracy in its reflection of the applicant’s performance ability. Recorded auditions will follow the guidelines as described in the Audition requirements section of the School of Music website, although the School of Music is not able to provide collaborative pianists for recorded auditions.
To ensure full consideration for scholarships, bursaries, and awards, it is recommended that recorded auditions be received by May 1, 2023.
For more information, please contact the Administrative Assistant to the School of Music.
Please follow this link for information on applying to our
You must be logged in to post a comment.