Music Theory Assessment
- The audition process includes a theory assessment test. The purpose of the test is to assess your working knowledge of music theory rudiments, which is important to help you be successful in your first year of study and beyond.
- Applicants can take the theory assessment anytime after their audition. It is recommended that students take the assessment before the end of June in order to allow time for remedial work before the Fall term (if required).
- Once you’ve received a School of Music acceptance letter you will be contacted with instructions on how to complete the Theory Assessment.
- Note: The results of the assessment do not affect acceptance to the School of Music.
Music Theory Rudiments
- Applicants interested in improving their knowledge of music theory rudiments before commencing studies, or before writing the assessment test, can take the online rudiments course offered through the Eckhardt-Grammatte Conservatory of Music.
- Alternatively, students will be required to take 64:110 – Materials of Music in their first semester of study. Please note that this course does not count towards the Bachelor of Music degree.
- Applicants who have successfully completed the Royal Conservatory of Music Level 8 Theory exam (previously known as Grade 2 Rudiments), the Conservatory Canada Theory 3 Exam, or other equivalent exam, can send their results to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to be exempt from taking the assessment test.