Research Support Fund (RSF)
Research Support Fund
The Research Support Fund (RSF) helps Canadian universities cover a portion of the expenses incurred as a result of conducting Tri-Agency funded research and assists universities in maintaining world-class research environments. The Canada Research Chairs Secretariat oversees and administers the Research Support Fund.
Value and Duration
The value of Brandon University’s Research Support Fund allocation varies from year to year and is based on a percentage of our total federal research funding received from the Tri-Agency (Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)) over three years. For example, 2014-2015 RSF funds received were based on a percentage of Tri-Agency funding received in fiscal years 2010-2011, 2011-2012, and 2012-2013. Research Support funding is awarded annually and must be spent in the fiscal year (April 1st to March 31st) that they are awarded. No carryover or deferral of funds is permitted.
Institutions are able to spend their RSF allocations in a variety of ways within five major expenditure categories. Below are the categories along with examples of how the institution uses the funding:
- Research Facilities: utilities, liquid nitrogen for NMR
- Research Resources: MRNet, COPPUL, Sage Journals
- Management and Administration of the Institution’s Research Enterprise: salary of all members of Office of Research Serivces, grants management software
- Regulatory Requirements and Accreditation: regulatory committee support, biosafety cabinet certification, veterinary fees
- Intellectual Property and Knowledge Mobilization: patent applications, Research Connection, Knowledge Mobilization Suite
Brandon University Allocation of RSF Funds
The RSF is committed to ongoing institutional initiatives that support the research function on campus. In any given year, where funding is available in excess of the ongoing commitments, the Provost & Vice-President (Academic) may seek requests for RSF from the Deans and Directors. Requests of this nature are made via the Deans and Directors to the Provost. Currently, Brandon University’s RSF support is allocated in the following ways:
- ongoing initiatives supported annually; and
- one-time initiatives.
Please note that RSF support is used strategically by the University to offset the indirect costs of maintaining and supporting the institutional research function. The University is at liberty to change the funding model or re-direct RSF support as it sees fit.
Brandon University Affiliated Institutions
- Centre for Aboriginal and Rural Education Studies (CARES)
- Rural Development Institute (RDI)
- Centre for Critical Studies of Rural Mental Health (CCSRMH)
- Tourism Research Centre (TRC)