Awards and Recognition
Brandon University recognizes outstanding faculty members in the areas of teaching and research through a variety of awards, including the Senate Award for Excellence in Teaching and the Senate Award for Excellence in Research. In addition, a number of named professorships have been established for accomplished and note-worthy faculty. The Stanley Knowles Distinguished Visiting Professor (SKDVP) is an opportunity to bring a scholar or scholars who have an international reputation in research/scholarship to Brandon University.
Named Professorships are an opportunity to 1) honour previous Department, Faculty, or School members, previous students, Brandon University honorary degree recipients, or previous professor emeriti, and 2) recognize outstanding Brandon University faculty members who have demonstrated excellence (national or international standing) in research/performance coupled with strong teaching and/or service.
The SKDVP is an opportunity for Brandon University to have visiting scholars with an international reputation for excellence in research/scholarship in their discipline or interdisciplinary area, related to comparative public policy with Canadian content. The Professorship benefits the University as a whole and the surrounding community.
The Senate Award for Excellence in Teaching was established to emphasize the importance of teaching at Brandon University and to recognize and honour those faculty members who excel in this endeavor. The award recognizes demonstrated excellence and/or outstanding performance in each of the following areas (in no particular order of priority):
- Comprehensive knowledge of the material taught
- Organization of course content and materials
- Enthusiasm and ability to motivate students
- Rapport with students
- Communication skills
- High general educational standards
- Fairness in grading student performance and in the treatment of students
- Accessibility to students
- Encouragement of student participation
The Senate Award for Excellence in Research was established to emphasize the importance of research at Brandon University and to recognize and honour those individuals who excel in scholarship and research. Two award categories exist:
Tier I awards:
- must completed a minimum of 3 years employment at Brandon University
- must hold the rank of associate professor, full profess, PA III or PA IV
- shall be considered for the award no earlier than 10 years after the completion of the terminal degree
Tier II awards:
- must have completed a minimum of 3 years employment at Brandon University
- must hold the rank of assistant professor, associate professor, PA II or PA III
- normally, be considered no later than 10 years after the completion of the terminal degree.
Receipts of this award will be expected to have gained national and/or international recognition through their research and scholarship. Quality and originality of published or creative work will be deemed more important than quantity.