Research Ethics Committee
Brandon University Research Ethics Committee (BUREC)
Brandon University is committed to the compliance of the Tri-Council Policy Statement 2 and requires that research projectsinvolving humans participants undertaken by any person (faculty, staff, students, visiting professors, adjunct professors, visiting professional associates, research associates, postdoctoral fellows) under the auspices of Brandon University or within our jurisdiction, or using any University resources, must be reviewed and approved by the Brandon University Research Ethics Committee (BUREC). (as per the Brandon University Policy on Research Involving Humans).
The BUREC is a sub-committee of the Senate Research Committee and adheres to the following policy documents:
- Revised 2nd Edition of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS2 – 2014)
- Brandon University Policy on Research Involving Humans (revised June 2018)
- Brandon University Research Ethics Committee (BUREC) Policies & Procedures (revised June 2018)
- BUREC Non-Compliance Policy and Procedures (approved May 2017)
All research, class projects, undergraduate and graduate theses that involve human participants must receive approval from BUREC before any data collection begins.
Additional Ethics Resources:
- BU Research Ethics Committee Standard Operating Procedure – Registering Clinical Trials with clinicaltrials.gov
- Panel on Research Ethics (PRE)
- TCPS2 Tutorial: Course on Research Ethics (CORE)
Effective January 1, 2014, undergraduate and graduate student applications must provide, with their application to BUREC, a certificate of completion of the TCPS2 Tutorial: Course on Research Ethics (CORE).
CORE provides an applied approach to the guidance provided in TCPS 2. This self-paced course is a media-rich learning experience that features interactive exercises and multi-disciplinary examples. CORE consists of eight modules ranging from Core Principles to REB Review. (from the PRE website)
A certificate of completion is given upon completion.