Brandon University Research Ethics Committee (BUREC)
- Applications and appendices are to be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
- Hard copy applications, or applications submitted using old forms, will not be accepted.
- Only applicable appendices as indicated in the application form will be reviewed by BUREC. Research proposals will not be considered as part of the ethics review and therefore should not be included as an appendix.
- Please ensure that all files are appropriately labelled both in the document (e.g. as a header) and as the saved file name (e.g. Appendix A, Appendix B, etc.)
- Undergraduate students are limited to conducting research that is categorized as minimal risk.
- Undergraduate and graduate student principal investigators must provide, with their application to BUREC, a certificate of completion of the TCPS2 Tutorial: Course on Research Ethics (CORE). TCPS2 Tutorial: Course on Research Ethics (CORE) – CORE provides an applied approach to the guidance provided in TCPS 2. This self-paced course is a media-rich learning experience that features interactive exercises and multi-disciplinary examples. CORE consists of eight modules ranging from Core Principles to REB Review. A certificate of completion is given upon completion.
Minimal risk applications can be submitted at any time for Delegated Review which takes normally 10 business days to complete. Moderate/high risk applications must be reviewed by the full Committee. It is important to apply for ethics approval well in advance of the project commencement. This ensures that BUREC has ample opportunity to review and provide feedback and allows the researcher time to respond and make any necessary revisions. For meeting dates and application deadlines, please see below.
If you are unsure as to whether or not your research project requires ethics approval, please complete the BUREC Exemption Inquiry Form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ethics Certification is valid for a period of five (5) years. Continuing research ethics review is a requirement of the
Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS2-2014) and an approved ethics submission is subject to ongoing monitoring throughout the life of the project. At minimum, continuing ethics review shall consist of an Annual Progress Report for multi-year projects and a Final Report at the end of all projects. At the time of review, BUREC will determine if more frequent continual research ethics review is required in accordance with a proportionate approach to review and level of risk. Failure to fulfill the continuing research ethics review requirements is considered an act of non-compliance and may result in the suspension of active ethics certifications, refusal to review and approve any new research ethics submissions, and/or others as outlined in the Brandon University Research Ethics Committee (BUREC) Policies and Procedures.
2020 Meeting Schedule and Application Deadlines
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact (204) 727-9712 or email@example.com.
|Application Deadline||Meeting Date|
|Tuesday, January 14, 2020
||Monday, January 27, 2020|
|Tuesday, February 11, 2020
||Monday, February 24, 2020|
|Tuesday, March 17, 2020||Monday, March 23, 2020|
|Tuesday, April 14, 2020||Monday, April 27, 2020|
|Tuesday, May 12, 2020||Monday, May 25, 2020|
|Tuesday, June 16, 2020||Monday, June 29, 2020|
|Tuesday, August 18, 2020||Monday, August 31, 2020|
|Tuesday, September 15, 2020||Monday, September 28, 2020|
|Tuesday, October 13, 2020||Monday, October 26, 2020|
|Tuesday, November 24, 2020||Monday, December 7, 2020|
PLEASE NOTE: There is no meeting scheduled in July or November.